I came into a great 788 in 30-30 for production shooting. After reading the rules it appears that bedding and free floating the barrel are allowed. Is this so? The bore is gorgeous but my cmp gage read 1.5 although that can't bee from cleaning or firing. It was made in 1967 and shows virtually no use. I'll slug the bore when time allows.
Remington 788 in 30-30 inquiry
- 249 Views
- Last Post 04 September 2019
I have two of the .30-30s. One is all original and the other was made into a swap barrel gun by a very earlier CBA member. Although I've had very little time to shoot them since I took possession, they are sweet and accurate shooting rifles, a real gem of the Remington line.
I also acquired a .300 Savage Hart barrel from Ed Harris, threaded for the 788. I bought a .22-250 to have the barrel fitted to, but it shoots so nice (all done by Son), that now I can't bring myself to use it for the .300 Savage. So now I will looking for more of a rough specimen to use for the donor receiver and parts.
The match rules can be found in entirety under Matches: Match Rules: Benchrest Rules.
David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .
... just a comment on the 788 ... when i was a full-time coyote hound-dog man ( boy ), it seemed everybody had a cheap 788 .... now it seems nobody has a cheap 788 ( g ) .
hey david R. ... how did you do your switch barrel 788 ? ... i have a really nice 788 in 223 but i really like a 222 better so i either have to sell it or put a 222 on it so it will talk to me ...
Ken, after looking at what people want and are willing to pay for a 788; there are no CHEAP 788's any more.
- All Categories
- General Polls
- Contact Us w/ Forum Issues
- Welcome to The Cast Bullet Association Forum
- Bullet Casting
Guns & Shooting
- AR Platform
- TC Contenders & Other Single Shot Handguns
- Informal Matches & Other Shooting Events
- Gunsmithing Tips
- Gun Cleaning & Maintenance
- Benchrest Cast Bullet Shooting
- Military Bench Rest Cast Bullet Shooting
- Silhouette Shooting
- Postal Match Cast Bullet Shooting
- Factory Guns
- Black Powder Cartridge
- Hand Guns
- Lever Guns
- Single Shot Rifles
- Bolt Action Rifles
- Military Surplus Rifles
- Plinkers Hollow
- Buy, Sell or Trade
- Other Information & Reference