• Last Post 22 April 2017
longhunter posted this 20 April 2017

Looking for a 250-300 gr .358+ mold

.358 bore/1/12 twist.

Thanks

Jon

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 20 April 2017

Accurate molds has 25 different molds in .360 from 250 to 300 gr. They are excellent Gas Check, Plain Base or Bevel Base molds that work well in the Whelen at Deer hunting load levels and the non GC models simplify hunting bullet making for the Whelen. I like this one with a flat nose, tumble lube grooves and a plain base:http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=36-280S-D.png

At .360” you can size to fit your throat.

Gary

Ill go look at it.  I have been looking at accurate molds for a bit.  I know they have a good rep.

Thanks,

Jon

If anyone has an old mold they don't need anymore, let me know.

Thanks

Jon 

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 21 April 2017

I have a 358008.  But with 1:16 twist it's too heavy.  I NEED a really heavy one, but not quite the 280 (?) gr.

onondaga posted this 21 April 2017

TRKakaCatWhisperer

The 35 Whelen, the same as most calibers when shooting cast,  is not nearly as sensitive to bullet weight with cast bullets as it is with jacketed bullets and heavy cast bullets shoot better from the Whelen. It likes cast bullets 200-250 gr regardless of twist. Bullets heavier than 250 gr in the Whelen are a good recommendation for dangerous game that charges and kills people like BEAR, but there is also an accuracy potential loss with the heaviest bullets in the Whelen. 200-250 gr bullets are NOT light bullets in the 35 Whelen. The 35 Whelen is a necked up 30-06 with an internal capacity that is excellent for heavy cast bullets at big game hunting load levels. H4895 is an efficient burning powder for the Whelen that provides a soft start pressure curve that increases accuracy potential for the caliber significantly. Many powders will yield higher velocity but the harder starts decrease accuracy potential and go out of the pressure range of #2 alloy that performs best on game..

Gary

giorgio the slim one posted this 22 April 2017

I have a Remington classic  35 Whe  bolt action  coupled with a 4 cavity LBT  gang mold , marked 358    250   LFN   that  chambes perfectly  in the  rifle's chamber . Veral knows his trade .

In My 35 Rem  Marlin  ,with microgroove  barrel I used  the 6 cav molds that Lee made on

Ranchdog 's design, with decent accuracy ,gas checked at  around 200 fps and  bare bottom at 100 fps .

Recently I bought a Lee 6 cavity gas check mold   ( such molds are cheap  and I cannot resist  the temptation of  collecting gang moulds) with a more traditional  two diameter bullet  but I have not yet tried them .

The 35 rem bullets are a tad under 200 grains , my opinion  is that the 35 Whelen  should get  the heavier  custom molds ( LBT or Accurate ) it depends on your buget .

In my opinion  all the revolver bullets are too light  and tend to be  too small , 35 rifles  require  359-360 bullets .  Of course alle the interactions , between neck clearance on loaded round ,throat dimensions and rifling twist  enter in the game . I like to use the larger diameter bullet  that chambers without effort .

Using factory loaded cartridges  is so costly and boring .

David Reiss CBA Membership Director posted this 22 April 2017

Also look to NOE molds. Al has a nice selection of .35 caliber molds and being the owner of more than a dozen NOE molds, I can highly recommend them. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys & Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Close