Upside of floods

• Last Post 18 August 2016
tturner53 posted this 16 August 2016

All this current flooding reminds me of a time when the great Sacramento River ran high. Back in the 80's. It carries the runoff clear from above Mt. Shasta all the way to San Francisco. The causeways were opened and large areas were flooded that normally don't. In those days you could drive in, back behind the CHP Academy. I walked the levee shooting rodents that had made it to high ground. Hundreds. My Ruger Security Six and home made ammo took it's toll. I don't think I'm quite that brutal anymore but I remember having a ball. Reload, shoot, 'Til the ammo ran out. Go back there now and try firing a gun! I had no idea that one day I'd be blowing around that high speed track in an old Caprice, trained by California's finest in how to go fast and stay right side-up! I was not a CHIP, just got in on some driving school.  That causeway was one of my go-to plinking spots that were close to home. All locked up now, like all the rest. Believe it or not, California was the home of a lot of ballsey people. Descendants  of pioneers. I hammered a black tailed jack rabbit out there with the Ruger at about 90 yds. My old dog loved rabbit hunting. He'd run up on the poor thing I shot and give it one good crunch. Then forget it. 'Keeper' was his name.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 17 August 2016

RE. the above title; a friend pointed out that the header for that post could be easily misunderstood! I see why now. I assure you my thoughts only included 4 legged varmints. I'll stop there. Anyway, I told you my story (got a million). Surely some of you ol' boys have some fond memories enjoying a day of plinking. I've shot in many types of competition, trained for more serious shooting, and hunted all kinds of critters. Plinking is more fun than those things. I'm even considering moving to a place where I can plink away again trouble free. Further north, maybe.  My worst day plinkin'...

Attached Files

Goatwhiskers posted this 17 August 2016

Yeah, down here in La. we used to spend a lot of time plinking at turtles and snakes in and around the “borrow” pits behind the levees along the rivers. Floods do bring out a lot of snakes and rats, some being 2 legged. They're good targets too. Surprised we're not having too much trouble in SE La the last few days. Might be because a few people are sitting on their rooftop ready for trouble. GW

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 18 August 2016

I remember sitting at a grainery in Tule Lake Ca. and shooting rats with a pellet gun that were running on the wooden grate where they unloaded the grain.  It was in early November and the barley was gone except for the nooks and crannies where it had been caught.  There were plenty of rats though and they were more than happy to have a little boy shoot em. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

PETE posted this 18 August 2016

Back in the day before garbage dumps had to be covered at nite we'd go down just before dark and get as much shooting at rats as we wanted. Not to sure tho that the rats were glad to have us shoot at them. 😃

Pete

Attached Files

Close