Flintlocks

• Last Post 12 April 2018
beagle6 posted this 11 April 2018

A good quality lock with a sharp flint, properly loaded, is as fast as a percussion lock for all practical purposes. If  you are getting " klatch, pfft, boom" something is definately wrong. One thing could be too much powder in the pan. It only takes a very small amount and that should be placed well away from the vent. A really good source of information is "Muzzle Blasts Online,Vol.4, No.4; The Flintlock Revisited.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 11 April 2018

T.C. and Traditions make flintlock primer pan charge tools. I have the Traditions model for my Traditions flintlock and it fills my primer pan 2/3 full. This gives lightening fast ignition as fast as my Lyman GP percussion rifle. You can prove to yourself by doubling the charge and slowing down your ignition that more powder is worse in a flintlock prime pan. It is not a matter of skewed common sense that more is better, the right amount works better.

Gary

Attached Files

T.C. and Traditions make flintlock primer pan charge tools. I have the Traditions model for my Traditions flintlock and it fills my primer pan 2/3 full. This gives lightening fast ignition as fast as my Lyman GP percussion rifle. You can prove to yourself by doubling the charge and slowing down your ignition that more powder is worse in a flintlock prime pan. It is not a matter of skewed common sense that more is better, the right amount works better.

Gary

Attached Files

You are absolutely right and I don't even use that much; maybe 1/4 of the pan and placed on the outside, away from the vent.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 April 2018

The first UTube video I ever watch was about 2005 when I was building my flinter. It clearly shows in ultra slow photography that the grains of FFFF powder burn 360 degrees from surface of the grain. You only need enough to get the flame front to go into the touch hole, as everything else is wasted. Powder over the bottom of the touch hole retards the flame from going inside.

Attached Files

Close