• Last Post 2 weeks ago
nosee posted this 3 weeks ago

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • GP Idaho
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ross Smith posted this 2 weeks ago

That's exactly what we need! Have ya'll seen the picture in the header of all the old guys? We need new blood.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 2 weeks ago

i had considered that on the groundhog shoot data sheet we should put down how many years we were over 60 .... nice to be able to enter  ... * 16 *  ...  * 24 * .... * 33 * ....

ken, * 18 * ....

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
loophole posted this 2 weeks ago

You're 100% right, Ross, but I have no idea what to do about lack of interest of younger people in shooting. I had two step-sons, then teenagers.  Dispite their mother's support, I could not generate any interest in shooting.  The younger would not put away video games long enough to eat and the older was interested only in little league and Braves games.

My grandson is now 18.  I taught him to shoot when he was old enough to hold a Steven's Favorite rifle, took him hunting, camping, and to the range.  Then he found a girlfriend, and got interested in computers  and I never see or hear of him.

What do we do?
Steve K

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
Ross Smith posted this 2 weeks ago

Beats me. My son was raised in rural Utah, hunting, fishing,camping, mountain man. Now he lives in Iowa working for a banking company and won't come back to Utah. I even have all of his guns I bought for him.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 2 weeks ago

One very successful attempt to get kids shooting here in Minnesota is centered in the schools. A couple very determined guys established high school trap teams in their local district. Actually the first couple of schools may have been private schools. Boys and girls compete shoulder to shoulder. This past year (we have doing this maybe 15 years) There were over 13,000 kids shooting trap as a high school sport. Many schools, including urban, have waiting lists to get on the team. The state champ 2 years ago was a young woman. The majority of the gun clubs have made the high school teams a priority on their trap ranges. Of course there are a few dinosaurs  who would prefer to not share their gun club with these kids but fortunately there guys are a small minority.

Think about it - 13,000 homes where the regular use of a firearm has become common place. In many cases the trap gun is the only gun in the house. It was all because 2 guys had an idea and they wouldn't give up.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 2 weeks ago

maybe it is a numbers game ...    i see magic in hot rods and guns and airplanes and .....

my son, who is a natural athlete and does everything better than i .... is pretty much bored with shooting, loud cars, flying,  .... and has never had any interest at all in spending 3 hours casting and reloading bullets just to ventilate a bucket of pop cans .... ( just so you know he is not without sin ::  he plays a lot of something called * golf * ) ....

but:: ..... some hope:: ... my local high school has a trap team ... as does the local junior college !! ....  when it warms up i will stop by a shoot and see why these kids took to shooting ...  maybe they would like to try casting some bullets with me  ...

ken

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 2 weeks ago

I started my kids with a CHIPMUNK .22 Bolt Gun. Had a peep sight. Shooting a RED RYDER BB gun in the back yard, great fun.

My Daughter loaded every shotgun round we fired for 3 yrs. She almost got shot at a Club Cowboy Match by an old guy that just wasn't safe anymore. She Didn't touch a gun for almost 18yrs.

My Boy loved anything to do with guns; casting, reloading, shooting, cleaning. We went shooting the day after Christmas 2006.   

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 2 weeks ago

BB guns are way under rated. We spent hours trying to hit dragon flies as kids. Hell, I still like to shoot yellow jackets on the deck with my BB gun.

I used a lightly loaded 20 gauge for my son. I think a very light loaded 410 would be a good gun for some highly supervised can shooting.

Attached Files

Close