PID, buying or making one of these items

• 49K Views
  • Last Post 28 March 2016
Bob 11B50 posted this 29 April 2014

I have seen several suggestions to get a PID.  Where does one purchase a PID?  Or how does one make one? Inquiring minds want to know! Bob 11B50

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
358156hp posted this 28 March 2016

Try K type thermocouples from Auber Instruments http://www.auberins.com/>http://www.auberins.com/

I have a couple of Chinese TCs that didn't make it a year, and that soured me on going the route of the lowest price.

Attached Files

SUPERKNUCK posted this 27 March 2016

My many thanks were directed mainly towards Pigslayer, then Holy Crap I realized there was 10 pages of information. I am going to be busy reading for quite some time. I give a genuine thanks to all of you that have provided such detailed information. Happy Easter,Randall

Attached Files

SUPERKNUCK posted this 27 March 2016

Thanks for sharing. Great pictures and narrative. Very glad I joined the CBA. This was the very reason  I signed up,for clear and honest help. Thanks Randall

Attached Files

mike0841 posted this 28 February 2016

durant7 - I buy all of my probes at Amazon.  Below is the one I use the  most.  It's 100mm long (4") and with my holder sits approx 1” from the bottom of the pot.  I use them in Lee and RCBS pots.  So far I have used 14 and none has failed.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C97J0LC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00>800C K-type probe

Attached Files

durant7 posted this 28 February 2016

PID experts.  I am having some issues with my temp probe.  I went the eBay/China route and got a MYPIN, Temp probe and SSR all for under $40 shipped.  The temp probe however was a RTD type 3 wire with a range from -58F to +752F.  Ops.  Well, once I learned the importance of getting the PID set up for a PT100 and the added jumper complexity figured out for a RTD, I was good to go.  Boiling water it was about 24 degrees low.  Ice bath....9 degrees high.  

Now, after my first melt and finding that 890F on the PID was giving me the best temp...hummm.....I see I must be super human because room temp is now 630F.  I suspect I have killed my probe.

I am looking to buy a second probe and figured I would solicit some advice.  It would seem that high temp PT100 sensors are not available.  But K type are.  I have not found a long probe type K that would handle the temp range I am looking for.  

Suggestions welcome.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 21 February 2015

motorcarman wrote: and the front

bob Nice looking unit! I like it!

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

motorcarman posted this 21 February 2015

Thanks.

Production goals will be forthcoming when the weather warms and I can open the shop doors for ventilation.

I still have boxes from PENN and RIMROCK so I am not in a bind yet!!

I'm still collecting material from local tires shops, eBay and RotoMetals.

I also set up an angled steel plate in my lower pasture to trap the lead into the ground for collection, MY way of recycling.

bob

Attached Files

Bongo Boy posted this 21 February 2015

A good-looking setup! Looks like you haven't used it yet, though--I'm concerned about meeting production goals. :)

Attached Files

and the front bob

Attached Files

Another pic. bob

Attached Files

I finally built my controller and installed the thermocouple. The temp probe connector on the back of the controller box only changed the temp reading a degree or 2 from a DIRECT connection on the PID so I will leave it that way. It makes it easier to disconnect for moving it or cleaning. Thanks again for all the great ideas!!!!! bob

Attached Files

Bongo Boy posted this 03 February 2015

Great tip, thanks. I've been researching these low-end units and they are simply amazing for the price. For example, several models (most) include a second control output that's ON/OFF, and I can see where that just might be useful for a circulation motor, a ventilation fan or just to control an easy-read indicator light. I was also surprised to find that some provide enough SSR control output to control up to 4 SSRs, which could add some options for added current requirements. Being able to run the PID itself off 240VAC, get the SSRs that can handle ungodly amperage at 240VAC for $20 bucks, it just amazing. Back when I wanted to build a recirculating mashing system (brewing) this stuff was 5 times that much as I recall. It's packaging it all where the guys selling the turn-key setups are really providing the help. I can easily see the pot heater, the mold warmer/cooler, ventilation fan, pot circulator and a bratwurst warmer all being managed from one convenient control panel. :)

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 03 February 2015

Be careful as to who you buy from. Even the chinese have knockoffs as I have recently found out & due that know what to look for. The MyPin TA4 is a good unit and can be had for $21.00 to $24.00 PP. But there are knockoffs for less. I got burned on two units as they sent no power to the SSR. I buy from only one vendor now.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Bongo Boy posted this 02 February 2015

I'm definitely interested in going this way, but it's a matter of where to put everything. I'd like a vertical standing cabinet with pot, controller, mold storage area underneath, place for a pre-heater, cooling area for the mold, and hey, why not throw in an IR temperature sensor to display the mold temperature as it cools. I envision the whole assembly having 4 heavy duty casters that can be deployed (when not in use of course) to relocate the entire unit--then you basically jack it up on solid feet when ready to go.

What usually happens to me with these projects is I look at individual components (the PIDs are $10-20 usually) and think it won't cost much. By the time you get switches, connectors and enclosures, now you're at 10-20 times the cost of that PID and SSR.

Still worth it, IMO.

Attached Files

cheatermk3 posted this 27 January 2015

Mine got here Friday--it looks great! Need to finish a project before I can use it but so far Pat has been great too so I'm not worried.

I'll be sure to post when I fire up my furnace!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 26 January 2015

stevebarrett wrote: PID now crossed the Atlantic and works brilliantly! Many thanks Pat, and also for finding a British electrical plug to go with it.

Steve Took a little searching to find the UK plug. I think that I found it on Amazon.Have fun,Pat

Attached Files

stevebarrett posted this 25 January 2015

PID now crossed the Atlantic and works brilliantly! Many thanks Pat, and also for finding a British electrical plug to go with it.

Steve

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 09 January 2015

Pat , PID got here safe and sound ! Thank you , will have to give it a test drive and see if I can figure it out !

Thanks, Frank

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 29 December 2014

Most store bought turkeys have their own pop upThermometer. I was thinking about brisket & ribs.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 29 December 2014

Pigslayer wrote: I'm getting ready to convert my smoker to electric & then build a PID for it too. Are you going to add a probe to insert INTO the turkey to tell you when it's done?

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close