PID, buying or making one of these items

• 49K Views
  • Last Post 28 March 2016
Bob 11B50 posted this 29 April 2014

I have seen several suggestions to get a PID.  Where does one purchase a PID?  Or how does one make one? Inquiring minds want to know! Bob 11B50

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 30 April 2014

A retired electrical company owner on this board, “Uncle Russ", makes them for sale if you PM him. Ric

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 30 April 2014

Here is a thread by one fellow that has been making them for a while and folks seem to be satisfied with the quality of his product.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?221976-CompeteCast-PID-temperature-controller>http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?221976-CompeteCast-PID-temperature-controller

I have one made by another fellow that works well, but unfortunately he is no longer on the Castboolit forum.

Edd

P.S. Here is a thread about building your own. It may be of some use to you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?34547-How-I-wired-a-PID-to-control-temperature

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 04 May 2014

Uncle Russ can fix you up & you can't go wrong with a PID. Once you find the sweet spot for it you're home free. I made mine for about $50.00 in parts from ebay. You could too but if you are not comfortable with making one then look up Uncle Russ. I think he gives a choice of using all USA parts or Import parts. Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 04 May 2014

Anyone have a current link to order PID parts kits from Uncle Russ? My search was unproductive.

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 05 May 2014

onondaga wrote: Anyone have a current link to order PID parts kits from Uncle Russ? My search was unproductive.

Gary
The only way I've contacted him is via this forum but if you can't find him I can help you with the parts list and where to get them.   Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 06 May 2014

Pat, Thank you, a parts list and where to get them would be very helpful for me and others considering making a PID..I am about ready to give one a try. I am not shy building electronic stuff and have built a number of Amateur Radio projects.

Gary

Attached Files

vmwilson posted this 06 May 2014

There's a wealth of info on cast boolits about PID's. Worth the reading IMHO though obviously a lot of it will be about things you'll have no trouble doing.

Mike

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 11 May 2014

Another pic. The standard 3 - prong outlet on the left is of course for the pot to plug into. I had a number of computer cords laying around so I picked up a 3 - pin socket (on the right) for one of them to actually power the PID. Both of these parts are available on ebay for about $2.00 shipped each.

Attached Files

Another

Attached Files

Another

Attached Files

Another. A switch is actually optional as with the idiot lights. In this case I used a on-off-on switch. In the bottom position the green light stays on & the PID is bypassed leaving the pot to be controlled by it's own thermostat. Middle position is of course “off". Uppermost position puts the PID in control (Pot thermostat wide open). Again the green indicator shows the unit is powered up & the red showing that the PID is in operation. As the pot approaches the set temperature it will begin to cycle on & off with the red light flashing in unison with the opening & closing of the solid state relay (SSR).      You'll note that my PID is set for 355 degrees centigrade (671F). I have since found that my “sweet spot” is 345 degrees centigrade (653F). I had just turned the PID on when I took this pic. The PID is showing the pot temp to be 52.9 degrees centigrade (127.22F).      Yes, my PID registers in Centigrade only. No big deal as a conversion chart is readily available online.

Attached Files

Another. Note that I used some (TIG) welding rod to make a holder for the probe. Still using the same one two years later.

Attached Files

Last One

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 11 May 2014

Thanks for the pictures  Pat, that looks like point to point wiring with 1/4” crimp on connectors and the cutouts in the project box probably took the most time!!!! The Lee pot itself is 500 watts so 14 ga. wire would be fine.

I want to give this a try. I have welding rod and an outlet already.

Gary

Attached Files

onondaga wrote: Thanks for the pictures  Pat, that looks like point to point wiring with 1/4” crimp on connectors and the cutouts in the project box probably took the most time!!!! The Lee pot itself is 500 watts so 14 ga. wire would be fine.

I want to give this a try. I have welding rod and an outlet already.

Gary
Gary,      I made the cutouts in the sheet metal with my Dremel tool & a cutoff wheel, finishing up with a fine file. As I had mentioned I made the enclosure out of sheet metal left over from installing my new furnace. I have this cool little (18") sheet metal brake that I bought from grizzly industrial (for cheap like I am) to make my bends with.  #14GA wire is more than big enough. Your pot at 750 wats will only draw 6.25A. #14 GA is good for 15A. You may want to size down a little.      I actually keep a number of 25' rolls of 18 ga. tinned project wire in my little shop for situations like this. The tinned wire (18GA) in “free air” is good for about 15A. I get that tinned wire from McMaster-Carr online. Pat

Attached Files

Frozone posted this 13 May 2014

Just in case anyone is interested.

http://jconninv.com

I've built hundreds of these units.

I'm a retired EE. Kits are complete and wiring is done with only a screw driver. Ever built an old heath kit? same idea here.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 13 May 2014

Frozone wrote: Just in case anyone is interested.

http://jconninv.com>http://jconninv.com

I've built hundreds of these units.

I'm a retired EE. Kits are complete and wiring is done with only a screw driver. Ever built an old heath kit? same idea here.   Frozone,      Hmmmmmmmmm. You joined CBA 2 years ago & this is your 3rd post and it being one for hawking your wares. You're using about $50.00 worth of parts & selling the plug and play unit for . . . $175.00!!!!!! The DIY kit for $140.00 !!!!! What a deal! I might feel a little differently if you showed up & posted once in a while & offered some useful information. The killer is that your website advertises “castboolits” as the go-to place for cast bullet information. (Note the spelling for “bullets"). You're bold! Pat  

Attached Files

vmwilson posted this 14 May 2014

All I'll add is that when I built mine,   Frozone was very helpful.  And FWIW I believe a unit from Uncle Russ was in the $190 range.

Mike

Attached Files

Frozone posted this 14 May 2014

Pigslayer wrote:    You're bold! Pat  

Thank you.

I take it you don't want one then?

I don't believe the number of posts made is a requirment for membership.

As a general rule high post count = a lot of hot air to spill.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 14 May 2014

Frozone wrote: Pigslayer wrote:    You're bold! Pat  

Thank you.

I take it you don't want one then?

I don't believe the number of posts made is a requirment for membership.

As a general rule high post count = a lot of hot air to spill.

High post count also means one has useful info to offer or is interested in useful information that others have to offer. As far as your PID . . . no I don't want one. I am willing to go so far as to help any CBA member in obtaining materials & building there own as cheaply as possible. I can get the PID controller that you show on your website for as little as $24.00 shipped. The SSR for $8.00 shipped. The whole bundle for about $50.00 minus the enclosure. I believe in giving fellow members a break. It's called being part of a fellowship so to speak.       And by the way, this site has an area for sale items to be listed. Also, stop around more often & participate on a more informative/educational level. Pat  

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 14 May 2014

OK, It looks to me like this thread has gotten a little off base.  Let's please keep it productive.

Contributors are welcome no matter how many posts they make.

Frozone post was welcome to me and probably to others interested in buying a PID.  Up until his post I couldn't figure out who would sell me one. Uncle Russ didn't participate so I didn't know if he was still in business.

I appreciate Pat's offer to help members build one and I build some of my own stuff but I have too many other projects going.

Every manufactured thing we buy cost several times the materials that go into it and up to a point that is fair enough.  Design effort and labor should be paid.   I would be interested in hearing from more of Frozone's customers.

John

Attached Files

Frozone posted this 14 May 2014

Thanks John,

I was asked by a group of people on the 'castboolits forum' to build a number of these for them. We made it a 'group buy' and I designed and built about 30 units. That was ~4 years ago, and all the units are still going strong. I even built one for Ken, the owner of that forum.

The 'Kit' is a result of people starting to build their own unit and getting bogged down. They realize that it isn't Just the big parts. There are a lot of small details that need to be addressed.

So the kit is designed for the person who is comfortable with 'mechanical' stuff but doesn't want/like to mess with electricity.

I'll was going to put up a page on my site of testimonials but I have never really believed that stuff on other sites, so I didn't.

I can give you a long list of happy customers if you are truly interested.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 14 May 2014

I will build one for any CBA member for $100.00 even + shipping. Now that's a fair price. I do not say this to circumvent the livelihood of Frozone. I do it because I like helping others as many on this site are retired & on fixed incomes. I believe that giving to others that have given so much to me is a small price to pay & I do so with great pleasure. Nuff said.     

Pat

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 16 May 2014

I am going to start a PID building tutorial here as I am building one for a CBA member. I have ordered all the parts minus the indicator lights & on-off-on switch. The enclosue I will build out of 20ga. sheet metal I have in my basement. The grand total right now is a monumental $42.00!!! Again folks, my building this project is not to compromise the livelihood of other vendors. It is only to help those who would like to have one that normally would not be able to afford one. I made mine from the same parts 2 1/2 years ago and it is still working just fine after 3 or 4 thousand bullets & much smelting.

Pat

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 16 May 2014

Pigslayer:

Your class is admirable

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 16 May 2014

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=6171>Pigslayer

Pat, a tutorial on building a PID is a productive and needed one for the members here. Thank you,

Gary

Attached Files

Here is the PID controller. It's a pretty smart cookie. These are about $25.00 shipped on ebay. Some vendors try to sell this same unit for a whole lot more so if you get one on ebay it pays to filter through the items. I ordered one today and it will be here next Wednesday.

Attached Files

The wiring diagram. It's pretty simple in that it shows where to hook up Incoming Power (Terminals 1/2), Solid State Relay (SSR)(Terminals 3/4) & Thermocouple (TC)(Terminals 7/8. It has terminals to hook up one alarm (AL1). There's really no need for alarm either visual (indicator light) or buzzer. The unit will have two indicator lights which will light when the unit is turned on whether in bypass or PID control & another that monitors the opening & closing of the SSR.   

Attached Files

Here is the Solid State Relay(SSR). Basicly it's a switch controlled by the PID to allow 120V to flow to your pot.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 17 May 2014

This is a heat sink that the SSR mounts to. It dissipates heat generated by the SSR. SSR,s have been known to get a little warm. I use a little silicon heat transfer paste between the SSR & Heat Sink. It makes for rapid heat transfer.

Attached Files

This is the high temp thermocouple. Range -100 to +1250 degrees centigrade.

Attached Files

I found a couple of neon indicator lamps along with a single pole/double throw switch in my shop that I will use on this project. Note the “sta-kon” ends that I use for each. I crimp them on, then solder them followed by shrink tubing insulation.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 17 May 2014

Pat, everything looks nice and beefy to handle the wattage, that is a good hefty relay at 25 Amps.

Gary

Attached Files

mike0841 posted this 17 May 2014

You really don't need a heatsink as the most wattage drawn by the pots (RCBS 800Watt) will not draw more than  6.75 amps.  You can use the heat transfer paste between the SSR and the case (unless it's plastic).  That's what I did with mine (aluminum case) and can feel no heat even after 4 hours of use.  If it was going to operate at 9 amp or higher I would use the heatsink.

Mike CBA Webmaster

Attached Files

mike0841 wrote: You really don't need a heatsink as the most wattage drawn by the pots (RCBS 800Watt) will not draw more than  6.75 amps.  You can use the heat transfer paste between the SSR and the case (unless it's plastic).  That's what I did with mine (aluminum case) and can feel no heat even after 4 hours of use.  If it was going to operate at 9 amp or higher I would use the heatsink.

Mike CBA Webmaster
Mike,      You are absolutely right but . . . one of those heat sinks is dirt cheap and who knows what wattage appliance this unit will be hooked up to in the future? An ounce of prevention = . . . . . . . . . . . I think I pay about a buck or two for a heatsink. Pat

Attached Files

onondaga wrote: Pat, everything looks nice and beefy to handle the wattage, that is a good hefty relay at 25 Amps.

Gary Gary,      The SSR's that I've used are all the same physical size no matter the wattage. I have some 50A SSR's in my service truck that look identical except for the amperage. I get the 25A SSR's 'cause they are so readily available. Pat

Attached Files

James S posted this 18 May 2014

I just may need to build this PID. Pat did you say you were getting together kits?

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 18 May 2014

James S wrote: I just may need to build this PID. Pat did you say you were getting together kits? James,      No, I'm not putting kits together. But . . . I am willing to help point you in the right direction as to parts needed to build one or if one may be mechanically/electrically challenged I will build you one. I'm not out to make a buck . . . just to help others. As far as making one for CBA members, I will do them one at a time & at my own pace. I am currently working on one for Gary (Onandaga).       But . . . if you are handi with your hands you will have no problem putting one together. The thing is that you don't have to be a rocket scientist to build one of these . . . just the right information. Pat

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 19 May 2014

PID controller arrived today.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 19 May 2014

Pat,

Please keep in mind discussing setting up, adjusting and operating steps at some point.

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 19 May 2014

Gary, I will once I get all the parts & begin assembly. For now I need to illustrate & identify each part & what it's function is. The actual programming of the unit is incredibly simple. It simply involves setting the temperature desired. The PID does the rest. But . . . that will come later. you're gonna love this gadget!

Pat

Attached Files

James S posted this 20 May 2014

Pat.  My past is DoD Electrical R&D.  A list of necessary parts is most likely all I need.  With specs of course.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 20 May 2014

James S wrote: Pat.  My past is DoD Electrical R&D.  A list of necessary parts is most likely all I need.  With specs of course.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz wrote: Pigslayer:

Your class is admirable
Thank you. If only everyone would just help each other. Pat

Attached Files

Thermocouple was in the mail upon my coming home from work. Note that the connectors are both blue & red. Being that this thermocouple comes from China, the Red spade connector indicates positive (+) & of course the Blue spade connector indicates (-). It seems that manufacturers of different origin have their own color codes. Keep that in mind.

Attached Files

vmwilson posted this 20 May 2014

Not too serious if you hook em' up backwards first time.  Hold the tip of the probe in your hands and the temperature should show an increase.  If it doesn't you'll just have to reverse the leads.

Mike

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 21 May 2014

vmwilson wrote: Not too serious if you hook em' up backwards first time.  Hold the tip of the probe in your hands and the temperature should show an increase.  If it doesn't you'll just have to reverse the leads.

You got it!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 24 May 2014

OK I'm back. Sorry, had to take time out to go to work. LOL I started working on the PID enclosure this evening. I'm using 20ga. galvanized sheet metal that I had lying around. The whole idea of this tutorial is for those on a budget/fixed income so making do with salvaged materials, i.e. wire, switches, idiot lights etc. is perfectly acceptable. I mean Hey, we're not building a piano! The enclosure I am making measures 5” wide x 6” long x 3” high. Plenty enough room for all of the components. I'm making it a little smaller than my original as space is limited on most benches. I've seen guys take an old power supply out of a PC, gut it of everything except for the switch & the cooling fan. Install the components & use the existing switch & cooling fan. Voila! So any way you'll see in my attached picture the bottom portion of the enclosure. I will make the 1 - piece cover & sides later. My next step is to make all my cutouts for the PID, receptacle input & output & drill holes for the switch, fuse holder & indicator lights. Yes, I will be putting rubber feet on this unit. The purple color on the inside of the enclosure is just layout dye. It cleans right off with lacquer thinner.

Attached Files

Another view.

Attached Files

Another view.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 24 May 2014

Pat, Looks great!

Gary

Attached Files

Preliminary fit for PID, indicator lights & switch. Yes, the looks a little rough at this stage butfter the layout dye is cleaned off & it's painted it'll look much more presentable.

Attached Files

James S posted this 25 May 2014

Nice start.  Looking good. James.

Attached Files

mike0841 posted this 26 May 2014

Ok guys - lets keep it civil.  We're here to learn and enjoy our selves.  If you have a problem with someone use the PM system. Mike CBA Webmaster

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 26 May 2014

Nice catch Mike. I got a PM saying things were going south in this thread so instead of asking for calmer heads to prevail just deleted the issue. Makes things much easier that way.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 26 May 2014

pat i. wrote: Nice catch Mike. I got a PM saying things were going south in this thread so instead of asking for calmer heads to prevail just deleted the issue. Makes things much easier that way.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.Guess I missed it. Sorry, been busy working on Gary's PID. Can only imagine what it was about. (Not really). Glad I didn't see it. Thanks Mike.

Attached Files

Made the top cover a few minutes ago.

Attached Files

Primed it.

Attached Files

Enclosue bottom masked & painted. Yes, I have it upside down.

Attached Files

Looking pretty busy in that little box.

Attached Files

JSH posted this 28 May 2014

Thanks for putting this up. If doesn't have a carburator or spark plugs I hate it. Besides if you can't fix it with a hammer, it has to be electrical. Jeff

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 28 May 2014

JSH wrote: Thanks for putting this up. If doesn't have a carburator or spark plugs I hate it. Besides if you can't fix it with a hammer, it has to be electrical. Jeff LOL You're very welcome. Very soon I'm going to make a wiring diagram & post it. It will be a very simple one. With no indicator lamps. Gonna keep it straight forward with a materials list. You can use your imagination for a enclosure.  It most certainly isn't rocket science.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 28 May 2014

Pat, I don't think that we can thank you enough for your time and efforts in this endeavor. You are a true gentleman. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Old Coot wrote: Pat, I don't think that we can thank you enough for your time and efforts in this endeavor. You are a true gentleman. Brodie
Thank You Sir . . . but it is my pleasure. I get tremendous pleasure from helping others. No, I'm not being noble. It is a gift to me to give to others. Pat  

Attached Files

Just waiting for the power output receptacle & then it will be ready for test. It came out pretty nice actually. Nice forest green color. Not too shabby for some old galvanized sheet metal that has been lying around the basement for five years with some leftover rustoleum primer & forest green paint.   Pat

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 28 May 2014

Pat, Project looks terrific!

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 31 May 2014

Testing . . . testing.

Attached Files

Holding very close to temp @ 345 degrees celcius.

Attached Files

Homing in pretty good now. Note set temperature is 345degrees centigrade. (643 degrees fahrenheit).

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 01 June 2014

Programming the unit for temperature. On the front of the PID you will see two readouts . . . upper & lower. The top is the temperature being read by the PID. The lower is the “set” temperature. This is the temeperature that the user has programmed into the PID. This unit is in centigrade only. Centigrade conversion is available online.      On the bottom of the PID there are four buttons. Second from the left (A/T) is the button used to put the unit into programming mode. Pushing this will make one of the digits on the bottom readout begin to flash. Now, use the up & down arrow buttons to to change number up or down (0-9). Pushing the A/T button again moves the cursor to the next digit. Adjust that the same way with the up or down arrow buttons. Continue this until all four digits are set to the temperature desired. I.E. 345.7. Upon completing that push the “SET” button. The unit is now programmed. Have fun. 

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 01 June 2014

Pat, the programming instructions are simpler than I thought. Thanks.

Gary

Attached Files

Gary, Just tested your PID in casting some 252 gr. .45 cal. bullets. Once the mold was up to temp the bullets came out nicely formed & shiny . . . repeatedly. The temp held to within 2 degrees C.. Pat

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 01 June 2014

Pat.that is very encouraging. My one mold that gives me the most thermal grief is a 50 cal 340 gr plain base RCBS for my .500 S&W rifle and of course all my 6 cavity and Buckshot molds!!!

Gary

Attached Files

onondaga wrote: Pat.that is very encouraging. My one mold that gives me the most thermal grief is a 50 cal 340 gr plain base RCBS for my .500 S&W rifle and of course all my 6 cavity and Buckshot molds!!!

Gary I cast 300 grainers for my .444 Marlin & my .45 Colt without a hitch. You'll just have to play & find your sweet spot. I have yours programmed for 345 (653 degrees Fahrenheit) degrees celcius right now & it is working fine.

Attached Files

JSH posted this 01 June 2014

How long is it taking to get the mold up to temp and start dropping good bullets? I ask this because I think a lot of us go to hot trying to get going in to much of a hurry. Jeff

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 02 June 2014

jSH, good temp control with the PID will help. I plan to set temp 100 Deg. F. Above tested alloy fluidus as that is an ideal temp for casting. I expect pouring into an cold 2 cavity to take 3 to 5 pours to get mold up to temp with pot at ideal. Dipping closed mold end and sprue cutter tip into melt about 25 to 35 seconds can also put your mold temp right on if you get it right....then the first pour is good.

Gary

Attached Files

JSH posted this 02 June 2014

Gary I quit with the mold dipping quite a few years ago and went with a hot plate I made from an old electric skillet. I stack ingots on one side and what ever molds I am using on the other. Ingots seem to keep it from cycling so much. I try to keep notes on all my molds of what they seem to like and dislike. My comments on running melt at a some what to high temp comes from hearing and seeing guys run up pretty high on temps and then just leave it there. And it climbs through the roof as time goes by. I know of one local guy that cranks his pot up to the max and the. Turns it down after it hits the temp he wants. Myself, I have not changed the setting on my lee pot in a long time. Now have an rcbs pot. Jeff

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 02 June 2014

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=2923>JSH

I am in favor of tight temp controls. I don't start at full knob open on Lee pots, they go well over 800 F. and at that temp Tin oxidizes very rapidly upon any exposure to air and will be a loss effecting your alloy formula and casting fill out quality.

I also use the reduction fluxing method with a fiery flux and rubbing surface Tin oxides down into the pot that will return some Tin oxide back to Tin in the pot alloy. It is not perfect but it greatly helps restore Tin losses if you do it well.

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 02 June 2014

onondaga wrote: jSH, good temp control with the PID will help. I plan to set temp 100 Deg. F. Above tested alloy fluidus as that is an ideal temp for casting. I expect pouring into an cold 2 cavity to take 3 to 5 pours to get mold up to temp with pot at ideal. Dipping closed mold end and sprue cutter tip into melt about 25 to 35 seconds can also put your mold temp right on if you get it right....then the first pour is good.

Gary
I'm with you on that Gary. Sometimes I dip my mold and sometimes I warm the mold gently with a propane torch. Whichever works. Nothing wrong with the hotplate method at all but the electricity in my little shop is already taxed with only a 20A circuit.   Pat  

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 02 June 2014

onondaga wrote: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=2923>JSH

I am in favor of tight temp controls. I don't start at full knob open on Lee pots, they go well over 800 F. and at that temp Tin oxidizes very rapidly upon any exposure to air and will be a loss effecting your alloy formula and casting fill out quality.

I also use the reduction fluxing method with a fiery flux and rubbing surface Tin oxides down into the pot that will return some Tin oxide back to Tin in the pot alloy. It is not perfect but it greatly helps restore Tin losses if you do it well.

Gary Note: When using the PID to control your pot it is a good idea to turn the “Pot Control” full open to give the PID full control. Your PID unit will have two switch modes: PID control or bypass leaving the Pot thermostat to control it. Your switch positions are “down” for PID & “up” for bypass. Center position is of course . . . “off". Pat

Attached Files

vmwilson posted this 02 June 2014

You guys maybe cast larger volume/moulds than I but my setup keeps 2 DC's completely busy.  Note ingot warming shelves on the pots.  Top pot feeds bottom hot metal and easily keeps up with things.  Bottom PID controlled.  Little gizmo by pot shines a bright light on the sprue hole.  I prefer the stream centers the sprue hole and now I can always see it well.  Setup has evolved over the years from numerous suggestions in articles and of course a couple casting sites.

Mike

Attached Files

JSH posted this 03 June 2014

That is a rig I almost built. Read a fair bit on them and still think it is a good set up. The little box with what looks like a PVC elbow is a light? Jeff

Attached Files

vmwilson posted this 03 June 2014

JSH wrote: That is a rig I almost built. Read a fair bit on them and still think it is a good set up. The little box with what looks like a PVC elbow is a light? JeffIt is a PVC elbow and contains a 12v LED powered by an old 9v adaptor which is plenty bright.

Mike

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 03 June 2014

vmwilson, you definitely have a nice setup!

Pat

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 05 June 2014

Pat, I found free online software to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius. Just enter degrees F. and click Convert. This saves using a calculator and is very fast:

http://www.metric-conversions.org/temperature/fahrenheit-to-celsius.htm>http://www.metric-conversions.org/temperature/fahrenheit-to-celsius.htm

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 09 June 2014

Attached you will find the instructions for both programming & pinouts for the MYPIN TA4 thru TA7 PID Temperature controller.  The only difference between the TA4 & TA7 is the number of alarms you can hook up to it. I find that in controlling a lead pot the alarms are totally unnecessary. The MYPIN TA4 unit is all you'll need . . . unless you like bells & whistles. I know that they will seem a little confusing at first as you will need the PID in your hand to accompany them. Feel free to ask questions.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 09 June 2014

Instructions Pg.2

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 10 June 2014

This sounds great Pat, I will give it the first try with the RCBS 340 gr 50 cal bullet mold for my .500S&W rifle and use Lyman #2 Alloy; that RCBS mold gives me headaches...I am out of those bullets and need to cast and load 200!!!

I was planning on my usual 650 F. / 344 C, for certified #2 alloy but if you have a recommendation for this large fat bullet in #2 alloy let me know.

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 10 June 2014

I have yours set for 345C. Give that a try.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 11 June 2014

Pat, I downloaded and printed the 2 PDF instruction sheets. Just fine.

Gary

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 11 June 2014

Pat, Package just arrived in fine shape. I will be testing. Thank you so much!

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 11 June 2014

You are very welcome. Have fun.

Pat

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 13 June 2014

Pat,

I have run my Lee 4-20 several times with the PID control you sent. It was straight forward to change from Celsius to Fahrenheit degrees following the instructions. The unit is running well.

My lack of general knowledge on PID was what slowed me down running the device. Of course, I started searching the internet in addition to  our personal messaging to get to know the device better and how it works to understand the programming options better. I over think stuff and made this more difficult than needed.

The unit adapts by itself and begins to adjust cycles to a good tuning with smaller and smaller temperature swings as the unit gets used to the job it is performing.

One article I found helped me understand how PID works and shed light on basic programming. It is a PDF file and may be saved or printed. Others may find this helpful too:

http://www.omega.com/temperature/Z/pdf/z115-117.pdf

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 13 June 2014

I am glad the unit is working out for you. I have found that the MYPIN PID units are pretty much plug & play at factory default settings. Your unit is easily repairable should there be a failure with any part in the future. But I have had mine for over two years without a hitch. A new MYPIN PID unit can be had for as cheap as $19.00 shipped. The “K” type high temp probe for $7.00 shipped. A new 25A SSR for about $5.00 shipped. For the rest of the stuff go to Radio Shack. I doubt that you will ever have any issues with the SSR in that it is a 50A USA made unit. I had a number of them on my truck left over from a job we did at work last year. In closing & I say this to all: You can build or have one of these for cheap. No, I'm no god like creature of infinite knowledge nor am I a PID guru. But I know how to build one & make it work. If anyone here needs help in building or finding parts I will help. And no . . . it doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing. It just has to work.

Pat

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 15 June 2014

Building another PID. I have enough parts for this & another one. Why? Heck, I don't know . . . 'Cause it's fun and maybe someone else will want one.

Pat

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 15 June 2014

Pat; If you are looking for a reason to build another PID I would like to have one.  Just tell me how much and how to send the funds. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 16 June 2014

Old Coot wrote: Pat; If you are looking for a reason to build another PID I would like to have one.  Just tell me how much and how to send the funds. Brodie Got one on the bench that I'm finishing up. It's got your name on it. Send be your addy. I'll send you a PM. Pat

Attached Files

OK Old Coot . . . this Bud's for you.

Attached Files

Another

Attached Files

Another. Waiting on the trapezoid receptacle for input power.

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 17 June 2014

Pat,

Do you know of a commercially made enclosure of about the same dimensions as your home made ones?

The Radio Shack in my home town just closed, so if you know of an enclosure, it would save me some gasoline and leg work.

Edd

Attached Files

gonzbob posted this 17 June 2014

In regards to an enclosure, I gutted an old PC power supply and use it for my enclosure. I kept the on/off switch and the power cable. Nothing fancy but it worked. Bob

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 17 June 2014

Thank You Pat;  That is beautiful.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 17 June 2014

badgeredd wrote: Pat,

Do you know of a commercially made enclosure of about the same dimensions as your home made ones?

The Radio Shack in my home town just closed, so if you know of an enclosure, it would save me some gasoline and leg work.

Edd
You might try Allied Electronics online as they have a lot of that stuff. You can find them on ebay too. An electrical supply house will carry a lot of enclosures. Look on amazon. BUD Industries makes some nice NEMA 1 sheet metal enclosures without knockouts in the size you want for about $10.00 + shipping. Pat

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 19 June 2014

Thanks guys for the enclosure info.

Edd

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 06 July 2014

Here is a wiring diagram of an as built PID. Now mind you, the pinouts/teminal definitions can be different on different brands of controllers.So pay attention. Pat

Pigslayer posted this 07 July 2014

Well Brodie (Old Coot), your PID is on the way & should be there by Friday. I hope that it serves you well & remember, if there are any problems, please yell! I was glad to make it for you. Pat                        

Pat

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 07 July 2014

Thank You Pat; I am sure that it will work wonderfully.  I got your pm with the tracking number, and I can hardly wait for it to get here. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 07 July 2014

To All, I am more than happy to fabricate a PID for any member of CBA. I mean member, as in CBA member. The cost of material including including shipping is about $75.00 + about $25.00 in labor. Labor equals about $5.00 per hr.. Give me ashout.

Pat

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 17 July 2014

I was right the new PID works beautifully.  Thanks again Pat! By the way the pittance you asked for is on the way.  I feel like it should be double that. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 17 July 2014

Old Coot wrote: I was right the new PID works beautifully.  Thanks again Pat! By the way the pittance you asked for is on the way.  I feel like it should be double that. Brodie
You are very welcome Brodie. Happy to do it for you. If there are questions please ask.  

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 17 July 2014

You know people, I've been thinking. Many of the members here are on a fixed income i.e. Social Security at 62 years of age. And I'll just bet that a few of you would like to have a PID controller for your lead pot but can't afford one. If you're in that financial position & you want a PID, please let me know. I'll make you one at cost which will be right around $75.00 shipped (continental US). No, I don't want to see your bank statement! If you are in a better financial position the cost will be $100.00 shipped (continental US). Just send me a PM.

Pat Reynolds

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 27 July 2014

Several members here wanted me to assemble PID's for the. The parts are arriving & I've been busy laying out the boxes for the panel mount components. I found a nice AL enclosure made by BUD industries that will house everything nicely & very reasonably priced. If I make any more units I will go ahead & make a pattern but for now I'm laying them out individualy.   Pat

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 27 July 2014

Rear View.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 27 July 2014

These look and work great Pat. Mine is chugging right along. Great work!

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 28 July 2014

onondaga wrote: These look and work great Pat. Mine is chugging right along. Great work!

Gary
Thanks Gary!  

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 31 July 2014

I just had a PID controller, relay and thermocouple drop in my lap this past week and was wonder how I could put them to use. Thank you ever so much for this visual tutorial! I will be referring back to this several times as I try to actually build this and attach it to my Lee bottom pour.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 31 July 2014

Bohica793 wrote: I just had a PID controller, relay and thermocouple drop in my lap this past week and was wonder how I could put them to use. Thank you ever so much for this visual tutorial! I will be referring back to this several times as I try to actually build this and attach it to my Lee bottom pour.
Don't be afraid to ask questions!  

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 02 August 2014

Just to follow up.....IT LIVES!

Made a trip to Radio shack for switch, wire, connectors and LEDs. Then sat down in the shop area of the garage for a couple of hours and wired everything together. The AC side of the PID was easy but I had to fiddle a bit to find the proper incantation to make the SSR trip correctly. Finally got that figured out and it works perfectly. Set it for 650 and watched it hold within 8 degrees either way while I cast up some 405 grain 45/70 rounds. Now I have to find an enclosure and mount everything up all nice and pretty instead of the FrankenPID I have right now.

Thanks again Pigslayer! I would not have had either the motivation or the information necessary to accomplish this with out you. :dude:

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 02 August 2014

The long awaited thermocouples came today. Just finished one up. I like the aluminum enclosure that I found on Amazon. It makes for a nice compact little unit. Tested this unit with my old LEE 10lb. bottom pour & it worked just fine. Set it for 643 degrees F. which is what I have mine set for. 

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 02 August 2014

Rear view.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 02 August 2014

Do you have a link to the enclosure on Amazon?  Also, where do you get your male/female AC connectors?

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 02 August 2014

Anybody have any nifty ideas for an adjustable dodad  for positioning the thermostat in the pot. John 

Attached Files

vmwilson posted this 03 August 2014

Not adjustable but holds mine 1/2” in and 1/2” from pot bottom.  Aluminum scrap pieces I had on hand.

Mike

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 03 August 2014

For any of you making your own PID this is the amperage rating for the following bottom pour pots: LEE 20 LB. - 700 watts @ 5.8 Amps LEE 10 LB. - 500 watts @ 4.16 Amps Saeco - 1000 watts @ 8.3 Amps. RCBS - 800 watts @ 6.6 Amps. Lyman - 850 watts @ 7.08 Amps.

Attached Files

Bohica793 wrote: Do you have a link to the enclosure on Amazon?  Also, where do you get your male/female AC connectors? Just look up BUD Industries # CU-3008-A. Size is 5” wide x 7” long x 3” high.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 03 August 2014

Finally found what I needed and ordered. It should be here by Thursday and I can actually mount this beast into a case.

Attached Files

mike0841 posted this 03 August 2014

John Alexander wrote: Anybody have any nifty ideas for an adjustable dodad  for positioning the thermostat in the pot. John 
What type of pot do you have and what is the probe length?

Mike

Attached Files

This is the latest design probe holder.  It is on my Lee Pro20 pot.  It can be used for BP or ladle. 

Attached Files

mike0841 wrote: This is the latest design probe holder.  It is on my Lee Pro20 pot.  It can be used for BP or ladle. 

That looks like a nice one. Could we have a side view? Pat

Attached Files

Here's the side view.

Attached Files

This is my Lee Pro20 I only use for pistol boolits.  BTW the PDI was the first I ever made and bought all the parts from Auber. Cost 118.00 shipped.  Then I found out Amazon and eBay sold the same things much cheaper and as I am a “Prime” member on Amazon no shipping.

Attached Files

This is the RCBS that I modified for ladle pour only.  The little 12v power supply on top of the PID is for my new project. I am building a dual PDI to control the pot and a hot plate to keep my ingots and my mold warm when needed. I also have a case mount 12v pyrometer to put in the new project to keep track of my mold temp ergo the PS.  The orange thing to the left is the cheap handheld pyrometer I am using now.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 07 August 2014

Just to follow-up -- This is the prototype “FrankenPID I built initially based on the schematics presented here and the parts I received in a care package.  I am supposed to receive my female AC outlet today, so this should be complete assembled tonight.

Attached Files

The (almost) finished product.

Attached Files

And one more

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 07 August 2014

You did a real nice job. You will want to connect your probe wires directly to the PID. otherwise your temp will be off.

Attached Files

First time cutting aluminum with the Dremel. Actually, first time doing ANYTHING with a Dremel, so the holes are not perfect by any stretch but I will get better at it eventually.

Attached Files

vmwilson posted this 07 August 2014

Pigslayer wrote: You did a real nice job. You will want to connect your probe wires directly to the PID. otherwise your temp will be off. Mine has a “socket” in place so I can also plug in my luber heater when I size.

Mike

Attached Files

vmwilson wrote: Pigslayer wrote: You did a real nice job. You will want to connect your probe wires directly to the PID. otherwise your temp will be off. Mine has a “socket” in place so I can also plug in my luber heater when I size. Mine will also once the parts arrive.....

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 08 August 2014

Been running a little behing but will start mailing them out this weekend. Pat

Attached Files

gary0529 posted this 31 August 2014

go here http://www.auberins.com/?mainpage=index&cPath=1

built mine for under $60 though it was 4 or 5 years back but the setup is still running just fine and holds temps within a 4 degree F range on my Lee pot

I do believe that I did have to run in to Radio Shack and get a relay or somesuch but that was 4 years ago and those things are NOT stored in my memory any longer :-))

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 03 September 2014

Well people. I have one waiting to ship to a customer (sorry so late James) & two more to build and it's getting close to hunting season.  So if any holdouts want one of these PID's please speak up now. Otherwise it'll have to be after the 1st of the year. It's made me happy to be able to build these PID's for those who wanted them.

Pat

Attached Files

James S posted this 03 September 2014

That's OK Pat. I'm just glad I got in before hunting season!

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 04 September 2014

pm sent

Attached Files

James S posted this 13 September 2014

Thanks Pat. Got the PID a couple of days ago been off working. Looks real good. Unless I got some time off I won't be able to check it out right away. But I hope the first project I'll use it with is my rebuild on the 38 S&W 'Victory' revolver!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 13 September 2014

you are very welcome James. If any issues arise feel free to contact me.   Pat

Attached Files

Jackpine posted this 17 September 2014

Hey Pat,

I missed the mail pickup on Monday, but it got off yesterday.

Jackpine

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 18 September 2014

Your fine. There was no hurry. I'll be working on yours & others this weekend. Wanted to get more done sooner but been busy at work during the day & taking some night courses for work at the local community college. Busy, busy. Pat    

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 04 October 2014

As of late I have been remiss in getting out the PID's promised & am sorry for that. Have been working 12 hrs. per day & going to school nights at the local community college. But I'm back at it & will get the PID's ordered out soon.   Pat Reynolds

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 05 October 2014

Bill & Mike, yours will be going out this week as I just finished testing them about an hour ago. Steve, sorry about the delay but I havn't forgotten you. Frank, I'm waiting on the enclosure for yours. It's been backordered. Go figure. Pat Reynolds

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 05 October 2014

Great! I'm getting my new casting area all set up !

Attached Files

Jackpine posted this 05 October 2014

Hey Pat,

Got your message. Looking forward to using the new unit.

Thanks again,

Jackpine

Attached Files

EdS posted this 14 October 2014

Hi Pat: My hat is off to you for what you are doing to help fellow casters. I'm ready to build myself a PID controller, but can't find a parts list in the thread. Did you put one together? Thanks, Ed

Attached Files

vmwilson posted this 14 October 2014

EdS wrote: Hi Pat: My hat is off to you for what you are doing to help fellow casters. I'm ready to build myself a PID controller, but can't find a parts list in the thread. Did you put one together? Thanks, Ed Don't want to hijack your message but the main elements are:  PID, K type TC (thermocouple, SSR (solid state relay) and something to put them into. It's also recommended to use a heat sink with the SSR.  Mine cost me probably too much but I don't regret it.  It's got the bells and whistles.  Liked it so much I just ordered parts off ebay to make one for my feeder pot.  Looks like I'll have about $54 in it when I'm finished and I built this box of wood with metal front and rear.  I'm sure it'll work fine once it's done, though it'll read Celcuis instead of Farenheit.  Once I set it it'll likely never be changed anyhow.

If “Pat” doesn't get back to you PM me and I'll tell you what I used and what the new one will be using.

Mike

Attached Files

Jackpine posted this 15 October 2014

Hey Pat,

My mailman delivered my PID yesterday. Set it up today and did a short session, just to try it out. Work fine.

Thanks so much,

Jackpine

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 16 October 2014

Pat, mine came in the mail today as well. If it decides to really stop raining tomorrow I will fire it up. Thanks!! Mike

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 29 October 2014

Just want to say “Thanks” for the good plugs concerning the PID's that I made for you fellas. I'm overjoyed to do it for you. It really makes me feel good to do things for others. Got one sitting here to go out to a guy in England. Been down with a nasty sinus infection so my butt has been on the sofa. More members have asked me to build one for them when I get time & I will. I want to assure you guys that I'm not out to make money. That's not what life is about. Life is about giving & sharing & I learned that the hard way. After the first of the year I'm going to start offering a lube heater for the Lyman #45 & #450 Lubersizers if anyone is interested. I have built two for myself & they work quite well as they have a rheostat (dimmer switch) to adjust temperature. If you would like to build one for yourself I'll be glad to help you out with parts list & plans. Just give me a little time.

Pat

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 10 November 2014

Here's one for a member in the UK.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 10 November 2014

Another shot.

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 11 November 2014

Very nice pro looking job !!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 11 November 2014

Fg1 wrote: Very nice pro looking job !! Thank you sir.

Attached Files

James Nicholson posted this 06 December 2014

Just wanted to say THANK YOU Pigslayer. I followed your directions, found doing a google search on Cast Boolits, and read all of them. I just finished building my PID from your instructions. I have less than $60.00 in it and I now make bullets better than ever.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 07 December 2014

You are very welcome James.  

Attached Files

motorcarman posted this 28 December 2014

THANKS FOR THIS TREAD. I built a PID controller for an electric KILN to do some heat treating a few years ago. The controller was a Centigrade ONLY unit but I was reading this post and thought I would build another for my lead melting pot.

The newer MYPIN TA4 are C or F configurable so that makes it easier for us in the U.S. as most info is listed in FAHRENHEIT.

I just wanted to thank PIGSLAYER for a very informative list of pages and pics.

I didn't think of a bypass switch until I read these posts.

GOOD IDEA.

I don't do much posting but I do a lot of reading on this forum.

Thanks again.

bob gauff

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 29 December 2014

I'm getting ready to convert my smoker to electric & then build a PID for it too.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 29 December 2014

Pigslayer wrote: I'm getting ready to convert my smoker to electric & then build a PID for it too. Are you going to add a probe to insert INTO the turkey to tell you when it's done?

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 29 December 2014

Most store bought turkeys have their own pop upThermometer. I was thinking about brisket & ribs.

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 09 January 2015

Pat , PID got here safe and sound ! Thank you , will have to give it a test drive and see if I can figure it out !

Thanks, Frank

Attached Files

stevebarrett posted this 25 January 2015

PID now crossed the Atlantic and works brilliantly! Many thanks Pat, and also for finding a British electrical plug to go with it.

Steve

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 26 January 2015

stevebarrett wrote: PID now crossed the Atlantic and works brilliantly! Many thanks Pat, and also for finding a British electrical plug to go with it.

Steve Took a little searching to find the UK plug. I think that I found it on Amazon.Have fun,Pat

Attached Files

cheatermk3 posted this 27 January 2015

Mine got here Friday--it looks great! Need to finish a project before I can use it but so far Pat has been great too so I'm not worried.

I'll be sure to post when I fire up my furnace!

Attached Files

Bongo Boy posted this 02 February 2015

I'm definitely interested in going this way, but it's a matter of where to put everything. I'd like a vertical standing cabinet with pot, controller, mold storage area underneath, place for a pre-heater, cooling area for the mold, and hey, why not throw in an IR temperature sensor to display the mold temperature as it cools. I envision the whole assembly having 4 heavy duty casters that can be deployed (when not in use of course) to relocate the entire unit--then you basically jack it up on solid feet when ready to go.

What usually happens to me with these projects is I look at individual components (the PIDs are $10-20 usually) and think it won't cost much. By the time you get switches, connectors and enclosures, now you're at 10-20 times the cost of that PID and SSR.

Still worth it, IMO.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 03 February 2015

Be careful as to who you buy from. Even the chinese have knockoffs as I have recently found out & due that know what to look for. The MyPin TA4 is a good unit and can be had for $21.00 to $24.00 PP. But there are knockoffs for less. I got burned on two units as they sent no power to the SSR. I buy from only one vendor now.

Attached Files

Bongo Boy posted this 03 February 2015

Great tip, thanks. I've been researching these low-end units and they are simply amazing for the price. For example, several models (most) include a second control output that's ON/OFF, and I can see where that just might be useful for a circulation motor, a ventilation fan or just to control an easy-read indicator light. I was also surprised to find that some provide enough SSR control output to control up to 4 SSRs, which could add some options for added current requirements. Being able to run the PID itself off 240VAC, get the SSRs that can handle ungodly amperage at 240VAC for $20 bucks, it just amazing. Back when I wanted to build a recirculating mashing system (brewing) this stuff was 5 times that much as I recall. It's packaging it all where the guys selling the turn-key setups are really providing the help. I can easily see the pot heater, the mold warmer/cooler, ventilation fan, pot circulator and a bratwurst warmer all being managed from one convenient control panel. :)

Attached Files

motorcarman posted this 21 February 2015

I finally built my controller and installed the thermocouple. The temp probe connector on the back of the controller box only changed the temp reading a degree or 2 from a DIRECT connection on the PID so I will leave it that way. It makes it easier to disconnect for moving it or cleaning. Thanks again for all the great ideas!!!!! bob

Attached Files

Another pic. bob

Attached Files

and the front bob

Attached Files

Bongo Boy posted this 21 February 2015

A good-looking setup! Looks like you haven't used it yet, though--I'm concerned about meeting production goals. :)

Attached Files

Thanks.

Production goals will be forthcoming when the weather warms and I can open the shop doors for ventilation.

I still have boxes from PENN and RIMROCK so I am not in a bind yet!!

I'm still collecting material from local tires shops, eBay and RotoMetals.

I also set up an angled steel plate in my lower pasture to trap the lead into the ground for collection, MY way of recycling.

bob

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 21 February 2015

motorcarman wrote: and the front

bob Nice looking unit! I like it!

Attached Files

durant7 posted this 28 February 2016

PID experts.  I am having some issues with my temp probe.  I went the eBay/China route and got a MYPIN, Temp probe and SSR all for under $40 shipped.  The temp probe however was a RTD type 3 wire with a range from -58F to +752F.  Ops.  Well, once I learned the importance of getting the PID set up for a PT100 and the added jumper complexity figured out for a RTD, I was good to go.  Boiling water it was about 24 degrees low.  Ice bath....9 degrees high.  

Now, after my first melt and finding that 890F on the PID was giving me the best temp...hummm.....I see I must be super human because room temp is now 630F.  I suspect I have killed my probe.

I am looking to buy a second probe and figured I would solicit some advice.  It would seem that high temp PT100 sensors are not available.  But K type are.  I have not found a long probe type K that would handle the temp range I am looking for.  

Suggestions welcome.

Attached Files

mike0841 posted this 28 February 2016

durant7 - I buy all of my probes at Amazon.  Below is the one I use the  most.  It's 100mm long (4") and with my holder sits approx 1” from the bottom of the pot.  I use them in Lee and RCBS pots.  So far I have used 14 and none has failed.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C97J0LC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00>800C K-type probe

Attached Files

SUPERKNUCK posted this 27 March 2016

Thanks for sharing. Great pictures and narrative. Very glad I joined the CBA. This was the very reason  I signed up,for clear and honest help. Thanks Randall

Attached Files

SUPERKNUCK posted this 27 March 2016

My many thanks were directed mainly towards Pigslayer, then Holy Crap I realized there was 10 pages of information. I am going to be busy reading for quite some time. I give a genuine thanks to all of you that have provided such detailed information. Happy Easter,Randall

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 28 March 2016

Try K type thermocouples from Auber Instruments http://www.auberins.com/>http://www.auberins.com/

I have a couple of Chinese TCs that didn't make it a year, and that soured me on going the route of the lowest price.

Attached Files

Close