New member from N.W. Iowa

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 15 August 2015
Creekwalker posted this 10 August 2015

Hello fellow shooters.  I'm an old, retired guy who loves to shoot almost everything, and just got introduced to the fun of 1903's & A3's with cast boolits.  Looking forward to all the great-looking info available on this forum.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 10 August 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=9196>Creekwalker

Welcome!

I easily found a terrific target and hunting load for my 1903A3, consider trying:

Lee C312-185-1R cast #2 alloy, sized/checked .311",  tumble lubed once before and once after size/check with Whites Deluxe 45:45:10. 34.0 gr H 4895 LOA= 3.105" Velocity - 2162 verified Pressure~ 32.3 Kpsi.

This bullet drops 179 gr in #2 alloy for me and for hunting, I hollow point the bullet on loaded ammunition with the large pistol hollow pointing bit from Forster using a drill press.

47.0 gr H4831SC gives equal velocity for this bullet also in 30-06.

40.0 gr new Mil IMR7383 + 7.0 gr BPI Original filler also gives similar velocity and the same accuracy with this Lee bullet in my 1903A3.

Each of these 3 loads bench rest shoots under 1/2” 5 shot groups at 50 yards with the issue Mil sights. The H4895 shoots the cleanest for me. The other 2 loads show low pressure signs but print fine groups on paper.

My 1903A3 was assembled from old stock but NEW unissued parts including an unfired barrel. I like it a lot.

Gary

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 August 2015

welcome to cba !! i am from sw iowa; gets pretty lonely down here for casters ... although we have a few hundred little black rifle abusers ... i mean users ... the good news is that we have a dnr range about 3 miles from my house ..... kinda fun to stop by and watch the little black rifle guys saw the target frames in half ...i try to tell them that those little nubs sticking up from the barrel are called * sights * ...

heh, just having fun, guys ...

wish i were closer to the hawkeye club; it's a 3 hour drive ... if you ever get get down my way, stop by ... i got about 300 coke cans saved up ... they don't have enough holes in them ...

ken

Attached Files

Creekwalker posted this 11 August 2015

Thanks for the welcome guys.  I've got a sporterized Mauser and a 1903 (with a star gauge barrel) that I'm gonna start working up loads for. Sure wish I could see as well as I could 50 years ago.:P

I knew i could get some good info here.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 11 August 2015

Welcome to the CBA CReekWalker; I'm sure you will find plenty of ideas and help for those two cartridges.  We all wish we could see as well as we used to.  Personally I still see just as good, only my arms have gotten so short that I can't get things far enough away to appear sharp.  Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 11 August 2015

Welcome to the CBA forum.

We have a lot of knowledgeable folks here who like to help and offer encouragement. We will also look forward to you answering some of our questions when we get stumped.

We have a standing offer for a couple of free issues of the Cast Bullet Association's journal “The Fouling Shot". if you are interested in taking a look just PM me your email address and I will send them right out -- no obligation or future bugging you.

John

Attached Files

Creekwalker posted this 12 August 2015

Thanks for that offer of the magazine, but I just fired off a check to the memb. director of the CBA, and she said she'd send me the last couple of mags right away. 

BTW, I loaded up some rounds and shot both rifles today, and was extremely pleased with their performance.  Do I need to go into detail in another part of this forum, or can I share that info here?

New to this stuff, so I don't want to goof up.

Attached Files

pondercat posted this 12 August 2015

Creekwalker wrote: Thanks for the welcome guys.  I've got a sporterized Mauser and a 1903 (with a star gauge barrel) that I'm gonna start working up loads for. Sure wish I could see as well as I could 50 years ago.:P

I knew i could get some good info here. Welcome to the board Creekwalker. What cal/model Mauser do you have?  I'm trying to learn paper patching for a sporterized 8mm model 98 that is fairly accurate with jacketed but so far just so-so with cast (with one accidental--I think--exception).  As for eyesight, I just wish I could see as well as I did last week :cool:.  Sometimes I think my 61 year old eyes get worse day to day!  I pretty much have to use scopes or ghost sights (my favorite).  I even put a ring sight from Skinner on my .357 Blackhawk.  Much easier/faster aiming now! Anyways, I think you will like it here. Such friendly folk! Terry

Attached Files

Creekwalker posted this 13 August 2015

The Mauser is a '98 in 30-06.  It has a checkered Fajen stock on it, and looks really nice.  Shoots good too!  I'm not smart enough to post pictures, but maybe I could try to get my lovely bride to do it for me sometime in the near future.  Thanks for your reply.

Attached Files

pondercat posted this 14 August 2015

Terrific! Mine is a “custom” sporterization done by me using the original stock, a hack saw, sandpaper, and polyurethane. I also fully bedded the action and floated the barrel. 

Attached Files

Here's the other side. I did this about 20 years ago.  It was the first time I ever attempted do do any modifications on any type of gun.  It all worked so I left it alone.  Haven't done anything else to it since except change scopes. 

Attached Files

Creekwalker posted this 14 August 2015

Mmmm, nice. My stock has that reddish tint to it too. I like that. Makes me wanna go shootin'!!

Attached Files

Doesn't it though?  In truth, it doesn't even take that much to make me want to go shootin'!!! Sure is hard to find the time lately though. Terry

Attached Files

Creekwalker posted this 14 August 2015

As the “Duke” would say, “Ya gotta MAKE the time, pilgrim"!

Attached Files

pondercat posted this 15 August 2015

Amen to that! :D:D:D

Attached Files

Close