NOE 227 80 SP (IMPROVED)

• 4.9K Views
  • Last Post 13 September 2016
OU812 posted this 05 May 2016

Gas check shank shortened to .045 so that gas check fits flush with first drive band. Tip of bullet has been squared to reduce pesky finning...easier casting. Bore ride diameter increased to .221. This  loooong  .224 caliber bullet shoots very well in a 1/12 twist barrel.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
OU812 posted this 13 September 2016

Speedturtle

?v=E9n33N6cq50

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 September 2016

good to have a reminder ::: take the time needed and concentrate .

thank you .

ken

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 10 September 2016

I almost blew up my Remington. One case had a double charge of Tite Group (6.5 + 6.5 = 13 grains total). Gases were blown back into my face...good thing I was wearing glasses. Bolt would not lift and open. I had to remove barrel to remove bolt and dremel out the swollen brass case head from inside bolt face. Extractor is broken and ordered a new one. This same rifle with matching  bolt will shoot again :P

I learned one thing. Bullets are leaving barrel at a slower 1700fps, so a good consistent hold on light rifle is most important.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 10 September 2016

The bullets that were dipped in Lee Alox did well.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 27 August 2016

I have two of these three cavity molds.

The aluminum version was modified by enlarging bore ride section and trimming top of mold for a shorter gas check shank. Today I shot about 20 rounds to see if sizing the bore ride section to a more round .220 diameter would improve accuracy. Using 6.0 grains of Tite Group these bullets shot poorly...tilting was obvious. I think more velocity is needed to stabilize.

The brass mold was trimmed shorter for a more short gas check shank and bullet. Using Birdshot alloy these bullets fall from mold with a very round .220-.2202 bore ride diameter (no bore ride sizing done). Gas checks need to be sanded square so not to bottom out on first band. Using 6.0 grains of Tite Group these 20 bullets shot very well...under one inch easily. I will load more of these to verify.

The NOE sizing tool works very well at seating gas check square and sizing bands.

I am getting closer. Once I figure it out I will give all loading info.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 22 August 2016

OU812 wrote: joeb33050 wrote: OU812 BULLETS, SHOT TODAY, ALL WERE STABLE. joe b.

Joe,    Be sure to clean that .223 barrel well. Fouling will really throw those tiny bullets off target. I now scrub barrel after every 25 shots with Remington 40x Bore Cleaner. (follow directions on bottle carefully)I clean barrels as little as possible, 3 oderless paint thinner patches, 2 synthetic oil patches. Today I shot ~125 shots without cleaning, and the gun shot about as well at the end as at the beginning. LLA seems to do the trick. Overcleaning, as dangerous as overbeering! joe b.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 22 August 2016

joeb33050 wrote: OU812 BULLETS, SHOT TODAY, ALL WERE STABLE. joe b.

Joe,    Be sure to clean that .223 barrel well. Fouling will really throw those tiny bullets off target. I now scrub barrel after every 25 shots with Remington 40x Bore Cleaner. (follow directions on bottle carefully)

Attached Files

"KID ON CELL PHONE” hit my wifes 2003 truck in the rear causing it to spin around and flipping on its side. His insurance paid for everything (ambulance ride, emergency room, doctor, therapy, pain and suffering). Be sure to watch for traffic in your rear view mirror.

I did not want to buy a new truck, but I had to. This incident put me in debt.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 22 August 2016

OU812 BULLETS, SHOT TODAY, ALL WERE STABLE. joe b.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 22 August 2016

OU812 wrote:  Sizing the .2217 bullets down to .220 is harder than you would think (NOE tool used) I suspect the sizing difficulty is due to the nature of the die.   By comparison, only modest effort is required to nose size BHN 40 bullets in my homemade nose dies.  

Nice truck.   I'm still driving antiques.  :D

Attached Files

My rifle will not chamber a .221 diameter bullet...yet. So I sized down the .2212 diameter bullets to .220 diameter (two left rows).

Sizing down the larger .2217 diameter bullets to .220 was too difficult...so I did not size those.

The .2202 diameter bullets just touched the .220 sizer (two far right rows).

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 21 August 2016

My wifes truck got totaled and I had to buy a new truck.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 21 August 2016

Here are the as cast bore ride section diameters after enlarging mold with sandpaper. I will size the bore ride section down for a more perfect snug fit. Then compare sized vs smaller unsized. Sizing the .2217 bullets down to .220 is harder than you would think (NOE tool used)

As far as gas check testing goes. I have decided to keep things more simple by installing a regular gas check using a .226 Lee sizer. Then lube and size base first using the RCBS lube machine with NOE matching nose punch.

I discovered that the Birdshot alloy likes about 6.0 grains of Tite Group and shoots very well in the 1-12 twist barrel.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 10 August 2016

Great shooting, OU812.  :dude: Thanks for sharing your results.  

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 09 August 2016

Targets 4 and 5 (top right targets) were the last two groups fired and the largest groups. Maybe there was fouling left in the barrel after cleaning that caused groups to open more. A factory barrel can be harder to clean than I first thought.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 09 August 2016

Cleaned between every 10 shot group. Sizing with the Lee  and gluing on regular gas check shot best.

20/1 alloy, sized .2450, seated long to chamber more deep. 7.5 gr TiteGroup powder (1800fps) Winchester primer Lapua cases full length resized, LBT soft Blue lube.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 08 August 2016

So far I have shot my best groups when gas checks were installed nose first thru the RCBS .225 sizer using RCBS #506 nose punch. Notice ring around annealed gas check base.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 08 August 2016

Thanks John for answering his question.

Lately I have been constipating on gas check installation...annealed vs. standard, glued vs. standard, sizing with Lee vs. RCBS. Seems sizing nose first in the RCBS squares gas check to base better, especially if I use the 22 caliber hollow tip nose punch.

Shooting the larger diameter bore ride versions will be later...after I figure out which gas check method works best.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 06 August 2016

I have shot a lot of the original NOE22780SP (unimproved) bullets in 8” twist and some in 9” twist both with good results.  The 8” twist is a better rifle and I have been competitive in CBA competition with it.  I'm sure that it would do as well in the 9” twist with an equal quality rifle.

My loads have been low velocity with light charges (5 -6 grains of TiteGroup) and Hornady Gas Checks.

The excellent groups OU812 has been getting have been with the modified bullet shortened a small amount which apparently amazingly makes them stable in a 12” twist.  I would expect the shortened bullets to work as well in a 9” twist if everything else is equal.

John

Attached Files

reggleston posted this 04 August 2016

Interested in your NOE 80 grain bullet. Have any of shot this bullet in a 1-9 twist rifle? What kind of powder and charge are you using? What type of gas checks are you using? What is the MV of some of your good shooting loads?

R D Eggleston

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close