New guy from Indiana

• 1.1K Views
  • Last Post 21 September 2016
SamIam posted this 21 September 2016

I've been a member of the forum for awhile and joined the CBA this month. I've been handloading cast bullets for handguns on and off for 42 years. I just recently started loading cast for rifles. I'm loading for a Rem 1903A3, CMP Special in 30/06 and Springfield Armory M1A NM. I don't cast my own but am buying all my cast bullets from vendors online. I bought the new Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and have also gotten a lot of info for my cast rifle loads from reading this forum.  I also ordered some of the bunny targets to shoot for the postal bunny match. I don't have a rifle that will make the weight limit so I'll be shooting my S&W mod 10. It's my favorite anyway. I really enjoy this forum and since I retired I've been shooting at least once a week year round. Sam

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 21 September 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8324>SamIam

Your 1903A3 is a popular rifle here, I have one too and enjoy it very much. Mine was built with all new, old stock parts including a new and pristine UN-fired Rem. 1942 barrel that I was the first to put a shot through with my cast loads.

I've tried a wide variety of bullets in the rifle and the Lee  C-312-185-1R sure shoots the best for me. I also Hollow point that bullet with the Forster HP  bit in a drill press for hunting. They are #2 Alloy sized/checked .3105” and tumble lubed to slide fit my rifle throat.  My charge is 34 gr H4895 with ~ 32.3Kpsi, 2160fps, LOA=3.105", Win. Brass collet neck sized. No crimp, but I do return the seating case mouth flare to zero with an adjusted Lee FCD as a last step loading. The 1903A3 consistently puts 10 shots of that load in under 1” @50 yards for me with the GI peep. I like the rifle a lot but I do cover the butt with a slip on 1” recoil pad as the but steel butt plate is sharp enough to hurt and the pull is too short for me without the pad. I'm 6"2” with a 74” finger tip span.

It is my first and only 1903A3 that I got at a show 4 years ago. It had an odd but new poor quality sport rear sight and a resin fore arm top when I bought the rifle but have replaced those with correct, new, old stock GI parts. The rifle is a sweet heart and a pleasure to shoot. I hope you enjoy yours!

Gary

Attached Files

SamIam posted this 21 September 2016

John, you actually sent me three issues last year and I joined the CBA this month. I just ran across them on my computer and that's when I went ahead and joined. Thanks for the copies of The Fouling Shot.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 21 September 2016

Welcome to the CBA forum Sam. I think you will find this a good place to learn from each other so don't be bashful either when you have a question or an answer to someone else's question.

The CBA has a standing offer to new forum members of a couple of issues of our journal The Fouling Shot.  If you would like to read a few articles about various aspects of cast bullet shooting just PM me your email address and I will send you digital copies.  We promise not to bug you further.

John

Attached Files

Close