Need a CBA machinist to make special die for me & John Alexander

• Last Post 10 November 2016
David Reiss posted this 08 November 2016

In a conversation with John Alexander, we discovered that we have a similar need. Is there any CBA member that could help, please respond? Here is a link to a webpage for the die I need. If you can help, John will contact you about his needed die.

http://www.singleactions.com/401HerterPowermagCaseForming.html

Thank you in advance for your reply.http://www.castbulletassoc.org/images/emoticons/smile.gif

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
delmarskid1 posted this 10 November 2016

I formed them from 30-30's. It was a nasty job with the tools that I had. A lathe would have helped. For loading dies I used 10mm pistol dies. I bought some formed brass from a guy in Janesville Mn. They were formed from 41 mag brass. The base of the case had either been swagged or turned.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 November 2016

the 41 mag od is 0.45x ( oops see edit below ) .....depending on the 401 power mag actual chamber . it needs to go down to about 0.425 to 0.432 ....( chambers need measured ) ..... the upper part of the brass case isn't a problem ....but the bottom 1/8 inch is solid brass ....

i got interested in this and googled that several ... and glen frexel ... powermag owners use a 40 S&W sizer die .... to size down a 41 mag case then lathe turn a tad off the rim....,and re-bevel that .

some also blow up a shortened 30-30 case ...but that is a long way to blow out it seems to me....especially if hot loads are used ( powermag after all ) ...

if the guys measure their cylinders ( all of them ) it will help to see what is really needed .... ....

this should be pretty simple but still nice to wind up with something that is easy to work with . it also depends on how many they want to do ....the lee 40 S&W die is carbide .....? cut it off and use that for final downsize ? ( but maybe not best for continued reloading . )

ken

edit:  oops...my early source was that 41 mag brass was 0.45x... double check says 0.435 or so... so 1 or 2 step swage should be fine .

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 09 November 2016

Ken,  Wouldn't this be a simple matter of sizing a .41 Mag case down to .400?   Should be able to do this in a standard sizing die provided the die also sized the base.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 November 2016

i would be happy to work with you on this.

i would need your numbers sketched on a piece of paper if you know what you would like to try.

i find that any simple project needs several iterations....the first 2 or 4 are just ” design aids “... no problem . heck, might get lucky on first try .

how many cases would the gizmos need to size ?... i use 12L14 easy cut steel for most gadgets ... they would do a few hundred no problem, if you use sizer lube...

how about 2 or 3 incremental sizers ... then do the sizing in steps...?......and i usually make a ” ring ” sizer with a short sizing area ... would you prefer threaded ( 7/8-14) body ??

pm me and i will send you my email addy if you are interested .

edit...wow   41 mag is 0.45x diameter ....you need about 4-5  incremental sizers ...  no big deal ....

ken

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 08 November 2016

you might check and see what's out there.  At one time I had a die to size down .41 Mag cases to .401.  All the case needed afterwards was the rim turned down a tad. The .401 Powermag I had would shake and break all sorts of parts.  I'm actually glad I got rid of it.  Years later I found out the issues I had with poor accuracy with cast bullets was the barrel was a .403 and the bullets I shot were .401.

Attached Files

Close