30-30 Microgroove loading

• 20K Views
  • Last Post 18 March 2009
linoww posted this 01 July 2008

I am loading for a Marlin 336 CS 30-30 with Microgroove barrel.Its been about 10 years since I played with one like it.It seems like my last one preferred rather big(.312) bullets.I cannot chamber anything over .310 in this chamber.I haven't shot it yet,but was surprised by the “tight” neck in the rifle.Are others similar to mine?

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
WyrTwister posted this 18 March 2009

canalupo wrote: wyr

I don't know the velocity.

I have been shooting a two inch groups at about 50 yards. I think it will tighten up when I switch to a different bullet with smaller grooves. The ranch dog molds are a better fit for microgroove barrels (so I have been told).

My rifle is sighted in at 250 yards for 30-30 jacketed and hits high at 50 yrds about 5-6 inches. I use a 4x power scope. Hits about center with cast without changing sight. I think it is starting to drop about there. At 100 yards I will be hunting worms. I may jack up the speed with IMR 3031 but will wait on the new mold as it is a gas check design. We shall see what we shall see. 

I am going to try a .311 165 gr bullet from Lee tumble lube with the small grooves. It was original designed for a 303 brit. I will see when the mold arrives sometime in 2030 (backordered... Ha! Ha!)

I have no experience with the powders you mentioned above but I try to limit my destructive capacity with things that I can duplicate later.

Bob D “

I have a mold on back order from Lee , for .357 Mag .  So , I feel your pain .    :-(

God bless Wyr

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 17 March 2009

wyr

I don't know the velocity.

I have been shooting a two inch groups at about 50 yards. I think it will tighten up when I switch to a different bullet with smaller grooves. The ranch dog molds are a better fit for microgroove barrels (so I have been told).

My rifle is sighted in at 250 yards for 30-30 jacketed and hits high at 50 yrds about 5-6 inches. I use a 4x power scope. Hits about center with cast without changing sight. I think it is starting to drop about there. At 100 yards I will be hunting worms. I may jack up the speed with IMR 3031 but will wait on the new mold as it is a gas check design. We shall see what we shall see. 

I am going to try a .311 165 gr bullet from Lee tumble lube with the small grooves. It was original designed for a 303 brit. I will see when the mold arrives sometime in 2030 (backordered... Ha! Ha!)

I have no experience with the powders you mentioned above but I try to limit my destructive capacity with things that I can duplicate later.

Bob D

Attached Files

Nora posted this 17 March 2009

Ed Harris wrote: linoww wrote: post retracted, my question was not valid , I miss under stood what I read the first go around. oops..>

Attached Files

WyrTwister posted this 17 March 2009

canalupo wrote: Wyr, I have been shooting 10.5 gr of 2400. and having some success with commercial 165 gr flatnose plain base. Waiting on a mold. I am going to try a Lee tumble lube design if it works out probably get a ranch dog mold. It seems everything out there is backordered.

Bob D

Do you know the velocity ?

I hope to get the velocity up and the trajectory a little flatter .

That is one reason I want to try WC846 .  And I have it on hand .  And I bought it several years ago , cheap .  :-)

God bless Wyr

Attached Files

Ed Harris wrote: BallC(2) or WC846 work fine in the .30-30 with GC bullets in full loads. Try 25 grs. to start, up to about 30 grs. maximum with BHN12 or harder alloy and #311291 or #31141. I use 28 grs. with RCBS 30-180FN which weighs 188 grains in my alloy and approximates the .303 Savage.

It's important to start on the low end because lots of surplus powder vary in burning rate. Faster lots of WC844/WC846 burn like IMR-4475, IMR-8208, H322 or RL-7 and the slower ones are closer to W748.

I already have a few loaded w/ 29 grains .

May load a few w/ 25 . 26 . 27 . 28 grains and start that way ?

My lot of surplus 4895 seems hotter than the commercial data .  I have been using that for .30-06 & 7.62 NATO for several years , with 168 grain Red Tip bullets .

God bless Wyr

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 17 March 2009

BallC(2) or WC846 work fine in the .30-30 with GC bullets in full loads. Try 25 grs. to start, up to about 30 grs. maximum with BHN12 or harder alloy and #311291 or #31141. I use 28 grs. with RCBS 30-180FN which weighs 188 grains in my alloy and approximates the .303 Savage.

It's important to start on the low end because lots of surplus powder vary in burning rate. Faster lots of WC844/WC846 burn like IMR-4475, IMR-8208, H322 or RL-7 and the slower ones are closer to W748.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 17 March 2009

Wyr, I have been shooting 10.5 gr of 2400. and having some success with commercial 165 gr flatnose plain base. Waiting on a mold. I am going to try a Lee tumble lube design if it works out probably get a ranch dog mold. It seems everything out there is backordered.

Bob D

Attached Files

jimkim wrote: That's odd. This morning I had a guy ask me if I wanted some brass, lead shot and powder.  Someone had given him a press(he already gave it away, I asked) and this other stuff. I can use the brass, I can melt down the shot, but the powder scares me. I haven't gone by to pick it up yet. He said the powder was in a bag??? It will make good fertilizer. Oh, one more thing I found a  30-30 load using AAC-#9  last night but I lost it ever use it?  I'll have to put a 30 WCF load book together using nothing but shotgun and pistol powders.

AA # 9 ?

I have been using 1.00 cc of WC820 and 180 ~ grain cast in .30-30 .  Also useing it in .357 & .44 Mag .

WC820 is said to be ~ to H110 and AA # 9 .

But I am running out of WC820 , so I have some AA # 9 on order .

Anyone use WC846 ( ~ Ball-C ) with cast , in .30-30 ?

God bless Wyr

Attached Files

WyrTwister posted this 13 October 2008

jimkim wrote: Thanks. I want to try out some AAC-#7 in my 30-30. I have some load data but I don't know if I need to use wadding or not. I'll also keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on the WC820.

WC820 is government surplus powder .

I do not use wadding .  The people that do , use a tiny bit of toilet paper or a tiny bit of quilt stuffing .

God bless Wyr

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 13 October 2008

Thanks. I want to try out some AAC-#7 in my 30-30. I have some load data but I don't know if I need to use wadding or not. I'll also keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on the WC820.

Attached Files

jimkim wrote: Is that 18.0gr of AAC-#9/WC-820 under a 165gr cast bullet in a 30-30?

Please forgive my poor spelling and typing .  Post was before breakfast / coffee .  :-(

1.0 cc of WC820 , best I remember , that is around 14 + - grains with the Lee dipper .  This was shot in both a Marlin & a Winny .30-30 .  165 to 180 grain home cast bullets .  This was a .303 Brit / 7.62 x 54R Russian  mold , bullets sized to about .310” .

Check out the link

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/wc820.htm

God bless Wyr

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 13 October 2008

Is that 18.0gr of AAC-#9/WC-820 under a 165gr cast bullet in a 30-30?

Attached Files

jimkim wrote: That's odd. This morning I had a guy ask me if I wanted some brass, lead shot and powder.  Someone had given him a press(he already gave it away, I asked) and this other stuff. I can use the brass, I can melt down the shot, but the powder scares me. I haven't gone by to pick it up yet. He said the powder was in a bag??? It will make good fertilizer. Oh, one more thing I found a  30-30 load using AAC-#9  last night but I lost it ever use it?  I'll have to put a 30 WCF load book together using nothing but shotgun and pistol powders.

I have a load I have been experimenting with .  1.0 cc od WC820 - .30-30 - 165 - 18 grain cast bullets .  WC820 is said to be ~ to AA #9 .

God bless Wyr

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 03 October 2008

Yes yes yes!!! That will be my buddy's hunting load then. Thanks!!! I thought it was in that range but was unsure. I'll also let him try 10.0gr of Russianique under the 31141. He has bad rheumatoid arthritis and he can only stand to shoot once a week. Maybe with light recoil like that he will be able to hunt more than once a week. I also loaded some 429421's up for his 44 mag trapper.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 03 October 2008

I did chrono the load and it was going 1550 (ish).I dont remember exactly though.I have been happy with 10.0 of Unique lately with the an NEI copy of the 31141.

George

Attached Files

I cant believe I missed that. Now I feel sick. Have you chronied the BD load yet?  I don't have the velocity on it. Knowing me I posted it myself somewhere and just cant find it.

Attached Files

I thought about getting a 311291 mold and milling the gas check section off.

Shoots fine as is without the check i would'nt bother to mill it off.Still the308241 is a dandy.One just sold on Ebay for $30,pretty good deal i think.

George

Attached Files

I am still loading 13.0 of BD in my 30-30 .I will shoot my hunting bullet(SAECO #307 HP) this weekend and see how it goes.I may work up a bit over the chronograph to get about 1800.I don't think I'd go as high as he did,maybe 16.0 max!!I hope to luck into a deer at my place next weekend.

George

Attached Files

I found a thread posted by sundog on another forum. He loaded very heavy(to me) charges of BD under the 311041. The hottest load was 23gr. He said it was sticky on extraction. He didn't say what velocity he got with that load. He did however post Three other loads. They are as follows.

17.0gr 1880fps 18.0gr 1946fps 19.0gr 2020fps

These were all loaded in a 1950's vintage '94 Winchester.  His last comment on them was “these loads really shoot good, and they are clean." The powder was at least ten years old. The thread was posted in December 2005. I am wondering how high the pressure was in the first round. He said the fireball burned orange. I wonder if someone really smart would know. ( hint to ED Harris lol) 

I am interested in the Alliant 410 loads you spoke of as well sundog. I hope you don't mind me posting this. Do you still load your 30-30 with BD?

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 30 September 2008

I am mounting a scope on my rifle. I don't know if I will leave it on or not. I will let you know what kind of groups I get. The reason for the scope is so I can see the target at 100 yards. Let me know where to send that lead. If you run across a nice affordable Lyman 308241 mold let me know. I thought about getting a 311291 mold and milling the gas check section off. I talked to a guy at cast boolits and he said he had brought up the subject of a group by on the 308241 several times but nobody seemed interested. I don't get it. Wow I crammed four post into one. I hope this isn't too confusing. Jim

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close