Turret Press

• 6.3K Views
  • Last Post 03 December 2023
Pigslayer posted this 22 November 2012

Looking to buy a Turret press. Don't need it in the progressive style. Thinking about one of the older Lymans or even the Lyman Truline with it being converted to accept 7/8"-14 dies. Any suggestions?

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Millelacs posted this 03 December 2023

Thumbs up on the Lee Classic Turret press.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John Alexander
  • Glenn R. Latham
9.3X62AL posted this 03 December 2023

I'm late to the party--sorry about that.

I use a machine with a different take on the "turret press" concept--the Ponsness-Warren P-200 'MetalMatic' for pistol calibers.  There is a larger version for full-length rifle calibers as well.  <www.reloaders.com>

In these machines the shell holder moves between detent stops in an arc while the dies remain stationary.  Conventional 7/8"-14 dies are used, and RCBS-form shell holders are anchored in the swing arm beneath the die assembly.  I have used my P-200 since 2002 without a problem for over 100,000 rounds.  

Attached Files

lotech posted this 03 December 2023

I realize this post is ancient and the original poster may have bought a turret press and worn it out by now, but....I've been using a Texan turret press for over forty years. It was very used when I bought it about 1980 or so. I load 10,000 -12,000 rounds of handgun ammo on it annually (except for a few years when I was using mostly progressive machines). The Texan still works fine. 

Got rid of  four progressives but continue with the Texan turret. I just don't load enough to justify a progressive. A turret is incredibly versatile especially if you like to load small batches for load development purposes. Certainly they are slower than progressives, but not enought to matter  unless you're loading 10,000 rounds a month. The turrets mentioned in the other posts are probably fine machines, but you can still find used Texan machines and they'll do anything the others will.  

Attached Files

bandsmoyer posted this 03 December 2023

I also have the Lee Classic Turret pres and am absolutly pleased with it.

Attached Files

4570sharps posted this 02 October 2016

I see a few Lyman All Americans on ebay!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 19 December 2012

Well, I got my new LEE turret press set up along with the Pro Auto Disk powder measure . . . I love the setup! The elastomer wiper on the Pro Auto disk measure is a vast improvement over the older auto disk . . . no spilled powder! The measure seems to be real consistant at holding to with 1/10th of a grain. I spent the extra money & bought the adjuatable disk. Without shipping I have about $150.00 invested in this rig . . . what a deal. That includes the press, powder measure, adjutable disk,.45LC powder thru expanding die, riser & primer feeds!!

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 10 December 2012

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=6171>Pigslayer:

Hey! I want that handle! I wonder when they started including those. You made a great choice but it might bubble the paint operating on that stove..

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 10 December 2012

Just got home from work & my new LEE Turret Press was waiting on me. I opened it up & If I had had any doubts about the quality . . . they vanished immediately! This unit is very well made. The engineering of this unit is unsurpassed. When I ordered the press I knew that I would want the ERGO handle but figured I would buy it down the road. Guess what? It came with it! I can't believe that I got this for $71.00 + shipping!

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 09 December 2012

Pat, watch for sale on the turrets, I've gotten them as low as $8.99 at FS  LINK:

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-4-hole-turret-90269.html>https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-4-hole-turret-90269.html

Holy cow, they are on sale for $7.98 !!!!! Right now.

And the safety prime kit for both primer sizes is on sale for  $24.98 :

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-tp-safety-prime-upkit-90042.html

crazy great price!

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 09 December 2012

Well, I'm really looking forward to getting my new press. UPS tracking says that it will be delivered tomorrow. I'm going to have to order a few extra turrets. The accessories will be here later in the week from Natchez. I love new toys!

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 07 December 2012

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=6171>Pigslayer:

Ammo full sized from the Lee Turret will have better concentricity than the Lyman is capable of, and if you use Lee Collet neck sizing dies on bottle neck cartridges, the Lee has better concentricity than a co-axial press.

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 07 December 2012

Gary, I really did a lot of research before making my choice. The Lyman Turret was definitly one I wanted but the price was just too much even on ebay. I watched many, many videos on u-tube of the LEE turrets in operation. I was worried about strength but the only thing that was flimsy were the benches that the press was mounted on.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 07 December 2012

Great,

I bet you will be happy with it. Just remember, don't backjack the operating lever while the indexing pin is in the rotating phase of operation. That is the first mistake new owners do. That will screw up timing and break the indexing pin drive washer if you continue going the wrong way. The presses come nicely timed from Lee. Resetting timing is very easy to learn and do, familiarize yourself with that procedure. The Lee site has a video on that...It takes about 3 seconds. If you roughhouse the press you will have to reset the timing.

You will be using it a lot...keep your shell holder clean and have fun !!!

Gary

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 07 December 2012

Well, today I ordered my LEE turret press! Yahoo! No, I didn't order the Classic turret press. I ordered the standard 4-hole turret press and I think that I will be very pleased with it. I think that it wil be perfect for my .45 Colt, .38 Special & 9MM luger. I got it from Titan reloading for $71.00 + $13.00 shipping & it's already been shipped. Oh Boy!!!

Attached Files

rjmeyer314 posted this 29 November 2012

I have two turret presses, a Herter's and a Hollywood senior turret. I haven't had the Hollywood press that long but I've found that I really like it. There is almost no play in the thing. I've compared the consistency of overall length between the Hollywood and my RCBS Ammocrafter press. The cartridges from the Hollywood are much more consistent in length.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 27 November 2012

I've been using the Lyman turret press for years. I like the looks of the Lee for the priming application. The Lyman ain't much in that way.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 26 November 2012

Chargar wrote: I use a Redding turret press and am well satisfied with it. Redding makes fine equipment . . . no doubt. I've owned Redding equipment that was lost by the wayside due to my SECOND divorce! That stuff is sorely missed! But . . . the strides that LEE precision has made in both quality & performance for the price Is unsurpassed. I simply cannot see spending the coin for either RCBS or Redding when I can get the same quality & performance from LEE. As I said, Redding is fine equipment as with RCBS but the price is out of my league.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 26 November 2012

I use a Redding turret press and am well satisfied with it.

Attached Files

fryboy posted this 26 November 2012

save the cash until you can get the classic cast it's well worth the lil bit extra and it's way better , both for durability and value , unlike the older 3 & 4 hole it has a cast iron base vs. a much faster wearing cast aluminum base the primers being occasionally spit out wouldnt happen if the priming arm was in place , granted they need to make a dummy one without the primer stem,cup and spring for time one isnt priming so it doesnt catch the case when the ram is down , because i have two of the presses i removed the stem and cup , if there's a fault that's the only one i found ( other than they didnt make it years and years ago !!! ) the turrets are also reasonable and they do indeed change in a snap , the classic cast is well worth the extra $23 bucks and even at that it's still way cheaper than it's closest competitor

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 25 November 2012

Well, after sitting here watching numerous videos concerning turret presses, I've come to a conclusion. First of all I was wrong about the LEE 3-hole press. When securely mounted to a solid bench it appears solid . . . at least with pistol cases. By the time that I would buy, pay shipping & outfit (an extra Turret or two) an older Lyman Spar-T press I'd be spending $100.00 plus. So now it's most certainly going to be LEE. The question is . . . which one. Money is a definite factor here so it's going to be an either 3-Hole or 4-hole turret & not the Classic Turret. I can get the 3 or 4-Hole Turret for $70.00 & change shipped. I think that that is going to be the way to go. Comments please?

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close