The Model 94 - Faithful Servant

• 20K Views
  • Last Post 26 June 2016
Duplex posted this 22 November 2006

I know that the Model 94 is not as popular as some of the earlier models but, having disassembled many Model 94s, I can only marvel at the concept and simplicity of this Browning firearm made by Winchester.

While I have a few of these (which have all been used successfully in the field) but I just treasure the original 375 Big Bore that I acquired in the mid-70s.

The load I use for target and game is:

375449 lubed with my own lube, BR primer, IMR-4198 powder @ 25.5 grains.  I have an ivory front bead and a Lyman rear peep with Gold Ring mounted on the barrel and the hood has been removed.

Due to the thick woods where I live, I don't have to take shots over 100 yards as a rule.  It has performed wonderfully on Whitetail and Black Bear with only single shots taken.

The other 94s are .30-30s and .45 Colts from the 50s to the 90s.  I have never suffered any complaint from these rifles and my children (now ages 20 thru 40) all started out with .30-30s in the Model 94 configuration. 

In the .30-30s I use #31141 and in the .45s I use #454190 and #454424 sized .001” over groove diameter.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 26 June 2016

one of my favorites was a ted williams ( ok, sears ) ...94 in 30-30.

i sold it cheap to a young neighbor boy who likes guns .

maybe he will read up on ted williams the man and ball player . ted williams was to baseball what ed harris is to plain folk cast shooting .

maybe the kid will drop by with it and we will bust a few bean cans .

ken

Attached Files

kjohn posted this 26 June 2016

I just joined the forum and also took a membership in CBA. I hunt whitetail with a nice old .32 Special 94, mid 1950's model. I love the old rifle. I also shoot a Canadian Centennial 30-30 carbine. I bought a matching carbine and rifle in 1967, but the rifle was stolen some years ago.

I have fired hundreds of Lee 93 gr. in wheel weights, using 5 gr. of 700X out of the 30-30. They don't work real good when jacking a round in, as the wee bullet is too light and wants to flip right up. If I work the action a bit slower, it works fine.

Two things you never want to run low on.....

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 17 April 2016

A typical group from my '94. 49 yards(my son set the target) F210 primer, mixed brass, 311041 (mostly wheel weights) 37.7gr H414. This is my deer hunting load. I've yet to shoot a deer with it.....

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 14 March 2016

About 1977 or so, my brother phoned me.  We both lived in Las Vegas, and he told me:  "Guess what?  Grand Central (a store similar to Sears, Wal Mart, etc.) has Winchester 94's on sale for $69.95 new.  Are you interested?" The store was about a mile from my house, and I told him:  "I'll see you there, then we can have lunch.”  Only regret was somehow it never dawned on me to buy more than one. Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 14 March 2016

For utility loads in the .30-30 for my '94 Winchester I have been having best results with Accurate 31-155D, loading the plainbased bullets cast 1:30 tin/lead to .32-40 velocities with about 14-15 grains of RL7, 3031, 4895, 4064, RL15 or Varget.  Use what you have, about a half case full works if the bullets “fits” and is well lubricated with SPG or 50-50 Alox-beeswax.  Depending upon throat wear, these may require some effort on closing the lever, but in my circa 1942 rifle, they engrave on the front end like chambering Eley Tenex in your favorite .22 match rifle, and shoot more accurately at 50 yards (inch 5-shot groups vs. 1-1/2") than factory softpoints.  Velocity is about 1300-1400 fps, depending upon powder used.  Yes, woods deer killers! If you would like to try a few for fit, PM me and I can send you some samples before you consider buying a mold.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 14 March 2016

Son's pre-64 model 94 does not so far like 311041 so we are trying single loading 311332. This starting load shows a bit of promise at 50 yards shooting supported across a hood of my Yukon.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 07 October 2015

You guys need to do some short write-ups of your 94s, favorite loads, memorable hunts, and a well lighted, sharp photo, for the “Fireside Favorites” column of The Fouling Shot.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

ericp posted this 07 October 2015

The past couple of years I have been fiddling with military stuff quite a bit but leverguns are my first love. My most used rifle is a 94 angle eject in 30-30 I found in a pawn shop for all of $125 because the shiny finish was bubbling up. Stripped it and refinished with tung oil. Most reasonable loads will shoot around 2 inches with the receiver sight, excellent for a carbine of it's type. My favorite load is a stout charge of H335 under the RCBS 180-FN. Many others live here but this pawn shop 94 sees more use than all of the rest combined and it has the wear to prove it.

Eric

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 06 October 2015

Well, glad to know I am not the only one. Been picking up levers over the last few years after my first one years ago, a Savage 99 in 284 Win. I know 8-9, incl Win 94 (32 SPC), a bunch of Marlins and another Sav 99 in 300 Savage. And just getting set up, casting and working thru bullets and loads for most of them.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 06 October 2015

One thing I can add to the conversation here is if you can scare up a 1965 Gun Digest, there is a great article in it about how to accurize lever guns. The main point seems to be particularly for carbines, to make sure the barrel bands are not too tight on the barrel itself, these can be relieved a bit without giving the gun a “modified” look.

One of my 30-30 carbines carries a Lyman peep sight, it does improve both outright accuracy and speed of getting on target, I highly recommend it, but only on guns that the factory drilled and tapped for such. The other carbine is not drilled and tapped, so I just use it with the factory buckhorn sights (which are not that good, but, like with the Lugers, I am OK with using sub-optimal sights, concentrate on lining them up with proper meditation on that front sight, rather than grumble under my breath about how I would prefer sights more like on my Gold Cup...)

Attached Files

4060may posted this 05 February 2014

Chargar Have you ever tried the Ranch Dog .32 in your's I was lucky enough to pick up a 1964,and a 1956 Win 94 both in 32 Win Special I had RD make three of the cavities plain base, with 9/SR7625 nice plinking load I have a lot of old pulldown powder at about 4350 burn rate, with a GC bullet and this powder the accuracy is good enough to knock down rams with barrel sights...kicks a bit tho

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
tturner53 posted this 05 February 2014

That is excellent accuracy for that combination. My post '64 94 30-30 is a good gun and does no better even when wearing a scope.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 04 February 2014

The edit feature doesn't seem to want to be helpful today, so I will just add this note. Accuracy is 2 to 3 MOA depending on the light, wind and the state of my karma. Accuracy wise, it does exceptionally well for a lever action carbine, at least in my experience.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 04 February 2014

I have not read the article in question. While am deep into the 30-30, I got my first 32 WS about ten years ago. Griffin and Howe had one that hung around until they put it on sale and then I bought it. It is like new and comes with a Lyman 66 rear right and a recoil pad. I have been using 30/H335 and the RCBS 170 FNGC and it delivers splendid accuracy. That 1-16 twist barrel will let me shoot full snort loads with the same accuracy as powder puff loads, so I do.   ..

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 February 2014

Chargar,

Your experiences would make a wonderful Fouling Shot article.

I'm sure you have read Frank Marshal on the .32 Special, what would you add to his, and what stories can you tell?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
Chargar posted this 03 February 2014

I am glad this thread has been reborn and I had not read it earlier. The first centerfire firearm I owned in 1956 was a Winchester 94 takedown rifle in 30 WCF so these rifles have a serious place in my heart. I started handloading for that rifle as well in 1957 or thereabout. Over the years I have owned quite a few 94s, but just how two carbines now, a 30-30 (1951) and a 32 WS (1959). Both shoot cast bullets very well, but the 32 wins the prize.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 02 February 2014

I stumbled upon this thread while researching the Lee/Midsouth 8mm Max which is showing real promise in my Ankara Turk 8x57. I have quite a few old milsurps and mess with them sporadically, like a Maharaja with his harem. This one today, that one tomorrow... Anyway, I thought this thread was so good I'm bringing it back up. Talk about good reading! I'll be looking up the Fouling Shot # with Ed's 30-30 article. I have the cd's and probably the paper copy too.. This thread is full of useful and interesting posts.

Attached Files

swenner64 posted this 08 August 2008

Ed I am going to try a different bullet.  I ordered Lee 312 185 Grain.  Thanks

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 05 August 2008

swenner64 wrote: Thanks Ed you are always a wealth of information.  By the way I got great good groups with 13 Red dot for my Swiss 7.5x55 but everything with cast shoots to the Right why is that?  With commercial bullets it shoots as strait as an arrow. My grouping was about 1 at 25 yards, I think it would have been better if I had used some type of stablizer, but like I said everything shot off to the right.  I was using a Lee 312 155 grain sks bullet sized to 308.  What is your diagnosis?  or is this normalSteve I don't know why, but cast bullets shoot to the right in my Sako AII target rifle also. 

Attached Files

swenner64 posted this 04 August 2008

Thanks Ed you are always a wealth of information.  By the way I got great good groups with 13 Red dot for my Swiss 7.5x55 but everything with cast shoots to the Right why is that?  With commercial bullets it shoots as strait as an arrow. My grouping was about 1 at 25 yards, I think it would have been better if I had used some type of stablizer, but like I said everything shot off to the right.  I was using a Lee 312 155 grain sks bullet sized to 308.  What is your diagnosis?  or is this normal

Steve

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close